Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Waiting a job to finish
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Waiting a job to finish Post 302790985 by Don Cragun on Sunday 7th of April 2013 02:11:12 PM
Old 04-07-2013
Assuming this is referring to the qsub utility that is specified by the POSIX standards (although few implementations provide the optional POSIX Batch Environment Services and Utilities features), wait won't work. The qsub utility submits a job to be executed on a remote server and returns as soon as the job is queued on that server. Normally, the server running the job will send mail to the submitter when the job completes.

There are a few ways to do what I think you're trying to do. One way is to periodically run a qstat command with operands being the job IDs that the calls to the qsub utility returned for the jobs they submitted. You would then have to parse the qstat output to determine when a job completes and at that point kick off another qsub to replace the completed job on that server.

Another way would be to have the last step executed by the job you submit with qsub be another qsub command that will queue a job on the server that submitted the original qsub and have that job kick of a replacement if work remains to be done.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i finish this last one..

i tried to build a command to replaces the word "include" with "exclude" in each *.h type of file in a certain directory and to display the lines in which the switch happened. i did a command and i dont know why its not working find /usr -name "*.h" -exec sed 's/include/exclude/g' {} \;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newby2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

commands do not finish

Hi, I have strange problem executing some command on solaris 5.9 ps command does not finish(hangs) and runs forever without any result. same with cc command too.Please suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for a background process to finish

Hello, I am a novice shell script programmer. And facing this problem any help is appreciated. I m writing a shell script and running few commands in it background as I have to run them simultaneously. Sample code : sql_prog & sql_prog & sql_prog & echo "Process Completed" Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetbhati
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finish script help

I am trying to add a finish script that can copy hosts, static routes and a few other files into relevant directories on a client system. These files would be mounted as nfs resource on the client as hosts.hostname, static_route.hostname etc. Script will compare the hostname of the client and copy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0kazaz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finish of file

Hello, I'm doing a script where I'm traveling a file, and moves down line by line, and is copied to another file, up to the line 100, then the smaller file passes to another format ... but the problem I have is that if there are 357 lines for example, file 1 2 i 3, converted correctly but the 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uri_crack
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for the background process to finish

Hi, I have on shell script which internally calls more than one scripts which run in background. These scripts cannot be modified to run in foreground. eg. myscript.sh -> bulk_launcher.sh -> acq_launcher.sh -> bulk_loader.sh I want the calling shell script myscript.sh to wait till the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to finish this scripts

Hi All, Can anyone help me to finish the scripts. this scripts is this scripts will run on crontab in every 4 minutes to get the newest router interface status. I would like to add a function to count the router interface flapping, if more than 2 times in 20 minutes (scripts run 5 times)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: momo0617
1 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

AutoSys Job not waiting for script to complete

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this issue...but here goes... I am converting a set of windows jobs from Control-M to AutoSys r11.3. The same command line is being executed in both systems. The Control-M job runs to compltion in about 1.5 hours, waiting for the entire batch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajomarquez
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Who can finish this script?

Good morning dear friends, I want to write an UNIX script to do the following task: We have 6 directories, called (SMS_01, SMS_02 ....... SMS_06), some files are distributed across these directories, but the distribution process is not good, I mean when I check these directories I found the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
14 Replies
qmsg(1B)								PBS								  qmsg(1B)

NAME
qmsg - send message to pbs batch jobs SYNOPSIS
qmsg [-E] [-O] message_string job_identifier ... DESCRIPTION
To send a message to a job is to write a message string into one or more output files of the job. Typically this is done to leave an informative message in the output of the job. The qmsg command writes messages into the files of jobs by sending a Message Job batch request to the batch server that owns the job. The qmsg command does not directly write the message into the files of the job. OPTIONS
-E Specifies that the message is written to the standard error of each job. -O Specifies that the message is written to the standard output of each job. If neither the -E nor the -O option is specified, the message will be written to the standard error of the job. OPERANDS
The first operand, message_string, is the message to be written. If the string contains blanks, the string must be quoted. If the final character of the string is not a newline, a newline character will be added when written to the job's file. All following operands are job_identifiers which specify the jobs to receive the message string. The qmsg command accepts one or more job_identifier operands of the form: sequence_number[.server_name][@server] STANDARD ERROR
The qmsg command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qmsg command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qmsg command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B), pbs_msgjob(3B) Local qmsg(1B)