Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating an array with options as an argument! Post 302790465 by dixits on Friday 5th of April 2013 01:38:18 PM
Old 04-05-2013
This is a small part of a long code written in c shell. My task is to modify this part. I am slowly shifting to bash but this part requires me to modify the code in c shell.

---------- Post updated at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:06 AM ----------

Please if anybody figure out than please let me know ASAP!

Last edited by dixits; 04-05-2013 at 04:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell: creating different arrays based on function argument

hi, I was wondering if there was a good way to create an array within a function, where the name is based on a passed argument? I tried this: _____________________________ func(){ #take in 1st arg as the arrayname arrayName=$1 let i=0 while read line do arrayName=${line} let i+=1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix21
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

array as command line argument !!!!

hello, can any help me how to can pass array as command line argument in korn shell. also how to read a array from command line. thanks spandu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associated array from command line options

I am looking to populate an (associated) array with a command line argument. The command line would look something like this: alert -action test -priority '10' -module test_module . . . The associated array would look like this after the data is read in flag=(action=test priority=10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jperret
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array as argument

hi I've 2 bash script, in the first i define an array and I'd like to pass it as argument to the second script. For example: first_bash: k=(1 2 3 4) ....... #in the end i call the 2 script ./second_bash $k then in the second_bash: ..... echo "${1}" #this not work but i'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating a Custom ISO with Options

Here is the scenario: At work I have been ask to create a custom ISO using UBUNTU as the chosen distro, install our prerequisted packages and present the customer with a choice of options of enabling and disabling services and just in general custom choices that I want to present to the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating an array

I am having trouble creating an array, I've tried everything google gives me but it won't work, and it seems as though it should. Using Ubunto 12.04 and bash. #!/bin/bash ARRAY=one two three echo ${ARRAY}When I do this I receive the error : two: not found and : Bad substitution When I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array from file

Dear community, how can I create an array from file taking only the 4th field? out.txt file is something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20So the final array should be: 4 8 12 16 20With this command I created an array with all the fields, but I need only the 4th... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating file and passing argument to a command

Hi All, I am having command to run which will take argument as input file. Right now we are creating the input file by cat and executing the command ftptransfer -i input file cat >input file file1 file2 cntrl +d Is there a way I can do that in a single command like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)								FSF								  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION] [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file --verbose print a diagnostic to standard error just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info split should give you access to the complete manual. split (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 SPLIT(1)