Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Tail command issue in Linux Post 302790261 by AraR87 on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:16:44 AM
Old 04-05-2013
As per my understanding, if we use tail +13 it will ignore last 13 lines and will display the rest of the lines in the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Filtering Tail

Hi Folks, I have a log that contains data as shown below: 11:59:43,144 (1,850) Signal : .... 11:59:44,109 (1850) Bps : ..... I wish to remove "" from all lines and it is on the start of every line. I have achieved that successfully using the command: tail -f imp.log | sed 's/\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Find command on Linux

Hi, I am issuing find command below mentioned ways but it givs different count. I don't understand the behaviour. Could any one have any clue? $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -lrt {} \; | wc -l 169 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l 47 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN

Hello everybody, I need some help here. I have a log file that gets updated every hour approximately. I want to make some processing on each line which is added in the log file with a program written in PERL. The problem is that I don't see anything when a line is added in the log file. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail issue!

Hi, I had few scripts which were running fine on linux: uname -a Linux ######### 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux from some front end application. Recently there was a migration of this application on some other linux m/c: uname -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command issue in linux

I ran one the script in debug mode in linux and have a problem ret='$prmAttunityUser=ais' Now i need to remove $ from this '$prmAttunityUser=ais' so i had added a sed command like this sed 's/$//g' but its not working could you all please help me with an alternate command I want the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue in Linux Command

Hi, :wall: I am not able to run any utility command in Redat, Please see the below example and suggest me how I shall run this type of command. $ su Password: # ifconfig bash: ifconfig: command not found # which ifconfig /usr/bin/which: no ifconfig in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
3 Replies

8. Solaris

[SOLVED] Issue with hostname command

Hi, i'm having issues with one of my db servers, each time i run the hostname command i get "-a" as result this is the only zone on this server where i have this issue. could any one help me with this issue (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EduardoDiaz
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issue in tmadmin command in Linux

Hi , I am trying to execute the below command, i got error msg.. Please advice me how to solve this See, When i raised psr cmd., then i got error like above , Please help on this THanks Mani (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-f | -F | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option is the same as the -f option, except that every five seconds tail will check to see if the file named on the command line has been shortened or moved (it is considered moved if the inode or device number changes) and, if so, it will close the current file, open the filename given, print out the entire contents, and continue to wait for more data to be appended. This option is used to follow log files though rotation by newsyslog(8) or similar programs. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -b, -r and -F options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
When using the -F option, tail will not detect a file truncation if, between the truncation and the next check of the file size, data written to the file make it larger than the last known file size. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD