Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to subset data?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to subset data? Post 302790025 by kadm on Thursday 4th of April 2013 02:14:39 PM
Old 04-04-2013
I have a list of the unique identifiers I want to extract.

Then I was hoping to just transpose the entire dataset for the output file. Something similar to copy/transpose in excel. I do have a script that lets me do the transpose. So, I could do it separately, but of course if I could do it all at once it is more convenient.

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:10 AM ----------

large dataset:

unique_identifier_1 entry1 entry2 entry3.....entryn
unique_identifier_2 entry1 entry2 entry3.....entryn
unique_identifier_3 entry1 entry2 entry3.....entryn
unique_identifier_4 entry1 entry2 entry3.....entryn
unique_identifier_n entry1 entry2 entry3.....entryn

I have a list of the unique identifiers I would like:

List:
unique_identifier_1
unique_identifier_3

output_desired
unique_identiefier_1 unique_identifier_3
entry1 entry1
entry2 entry2
entry3 entry3
entryn entryn

Last edited by kadm; 04-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: mistyped and had two entry3s instead of entry 2 and entry 3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a subset from a huge dataset

Hi, All I have a huge file which has 450G. Its tab-delimited format is as below x1 A 50020 1 x1 B 50021 8 x1 C 50022 9 x1 A 50023 10 x2 D 50024 5 x2 C 50025 7 x2 F 50026 8 x2 N 50027 1 : : Now, I want to extract a subset from this file. In this subset, column 1 is x10, column 2 is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with subset and if-then statements

Hello everyone. I'm new to the boards, I hope I can get and possibly give some help through these forums. I need some help. I have two CSV files, let's call them File A and File B. This is the structure for File A: ID, VAR1, VAR2, VAR3 - VAR50 (where the VAR 1-VAR50 are either 0 or 1) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JWill
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a subset of data from a large dataset based on values on one line

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a file containing a large table in the format: marker1 marker2 marker3 marker4 position1 position2 position3 position4 genotype1 genotype2 genotype3 genotype4 with marker being a name, position a numeric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get a subset of such a file

Dear all, I have a file lik below: n of row=420, n of letters in each row=100000 like below: there is no space between the letters. what I want is: the 75000th letter to the 85000th letter in each row. how to do that? thanks a lot! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating subset of compilation errors

I am compiling a fortran program using gfortran and the result looks as below I want to write a bash or awk script that will scan the information and output only problems within a range of line numbers Example: If I specify the file createmodl.f08, start line 1000 and end line 1100, I will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting subset of a word

Each line of the file has some words exactly same letters as of the first one. But has zero or more "_+" inserted. I am interested in those words and remove the other cases. Example: abcde abcd_+e abcd_+de fghig fghigi fghi_+g klmn klmn I want to get this: abcde abcd_+e fghig fghi_+g ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a subset of data from a large matrix

I do have a large matrix of the following format and it is tab delimited ch-ab1-20 ch-bb2-23 ch-ab1-34 ch-ab1-24 er-cc1-45 bv-cc1-78 ch-ab1-20 0 2 3 4 5 6 ch-bb2-23 3 0 5 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-to check if file1 a subset of file2 ?

I need to know if file1 is a subset of file2 i.e all the contents of file1 are present in file2 or not. Here is how i would do it. Read line by line file1 and grep every line in file2 in a for loop. any failing grep would means that it is not a subset. Is there a quicker or easier way... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if file2 is a subset of file1?

In-order to check and print if file2 is a subset of file one i do the below. var1=$(cat //tmp/file1 | sort -u | wc) var2=$(cat /tmp/file2 /tmp/file1 | sort -u | wc) if ; then echo "file2 is a subset of file1 becoz var1 and var2 have the same values." fi However, i get the following error ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cannot subset ranges from another range set

Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 2159343 2228327 Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 636587 638608 Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 5286 50509 Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 634021 636276 Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 1886545 1900975 Ca21chr2_C_albicans_SC5314 610758 613544... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cryptodice
9 Replies
funtablerowget(3)						SAORD Documentation						 funtablerowget(3)

NAME
FunTableRowGet - get Funtools rows SYNOPSIS
#include <funtools.h> void *FunTableRowGet(Fun fun, void *rows, int maxrow, char *plist, int *nrow) DESCRIPTION
The FunTableRowGet() routine retrieves rows from a Funtools binary table or raw event file, and places the values of columns selected by FunColumnSelect() into an array of user structs. Selected column values are automatically converted to the specified user data type (and to native data format) as necessary. The first argument is the Fun handle associated with this row data. The second rows argument is the array of user structs into which the selected columns will be stored. If NULL is passed, the routine will automatically allocate space for this array. (This includes proper allocation of pointers within each struct, if the "@" pointer type is used in the selection of columns. Note that if you pass NULL in the second argument, you should free this space using the standard free() system call when you are finished with the array of rows.) The third maxrow argument specifies the maximum number of rows to be returned. Thus, if rows is allocated by the user, it should be at least of size maxrow*sizeof(evstruct). The fourth plist argument is a param list string. Currently, the keyword/value pair "mask=transparent" is supported in the plist argument. If this string is passed in the call's plist argument, then all rows are passed back to the user (instead of just rows passing the filter). This is only useful when FunColumnSelect() also is used to specify "$region" as a column to return for each row. In such a case, rows found within a region have a returned region value greater than 0 (corresponding to the region id of the region in which they are located), rows passing the filter but not in a region have region value of -1, and rows not passing any filter have region value of 0. Thus, using "mask=transparent" and the returned region value, a program can process all rows and decide on an action based on whether a given row passed the filter or not. The final argument is a pointer to an int variable that will return the actual number of rows returned. The routine returns a pointer to the array of stored rows, or NULL if there was an error. (This pointer will be the same as the second argument, if the latter is non-NULL). /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (buf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = buf+i; /* rearrange some values. etc. */ ev->energy = (ev->pi+ev->pha)/2.0; ev->pha = -ev->pha; ev->pi = -ev->pi; } /* write out this batch of rows */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, buf, got, 0, NULL); /* free row data */ if( buf ) free(buf); } As shown above, successive calls to FunTableRowGet() will return the next set of rows from the input file until all rows have been read, i.e., the routine behaves like sequential Unix I/O calls such as fread(). See evmerge example code for a more complete example. Note that FunTableRowGet() also can be called as FunEventsGet(), for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
See funtools(7) for a list of Funtools help pages version 1.4.2 January 2, 2008 funtablerowget(3)