Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grepping data using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping data using awk Post 302790011 by Corona688 on Thursday 4th of April 2013 02:03:41 PM
Old 04-04-2013
Another way:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR { A[$1]++; next } $1 in A' file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping

Is there a way to grep for something and then print out 10 lines after it. for example if I want to grep for a word, then output the following 10 or whatever number of lines after the word. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping around

Using shell scripts, I use grep to find the word “error” in a log file: grep error this.log. How can I print or get the line 3 lines below the line that word “error” is located? Thanks in advance for your response. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeauty
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on grepping

Hi All, I have a log file and I want to parse the logfile with a script.A sample text is shown below: I would grep on "return code " on this file. Any idea how the lines above and below the grep patterns could also be extracted. Thanks! nua7 The runLoggingInstall return code is 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help. how to compare a variable with a data array in AWK?

Hi all, i have a data array as follows. array=ertfgj2345 array=456ttygkd . . . array=errdjt3235 so number or elements in the array can varies depending on how big the data input is. now i have a variable, and it is $1 (there are $2, $3 and so on, i am only interested in $1). ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grepping data from a text file

Hello, I have a text file which contains a list of strings which I want to grep from another file where these strings occur and print out only these lines. I had earlier used the grep command where File1 was the file containing the strings to be grepped (Source File) and File2 the Target File... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data

Experts , Below is the data: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Status available Allocatable yes VGDA 2 Cur LV 8 PE Size (Mbytes) 8 Total PE 4350 Free PE 2036 Allocated PE 2314 Stale PE 0 IO Timeout (Seconds) default --- Physical volumes ---... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the data between 2 date ranges

Hi There, Good Day !! I have txt file containing data in the below format. There are many lines, here i have mentioned for example. cat remo.txt 2/3/2017 file1 3/4/2016 file2 6/6/2015 file5 1/1/2018 file3 4/3/2014 file4 - - - I need to grep the file names for given date rage... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)