Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable in IF condition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Variable in IF condition Post 302789965 by elixir_sinari on Thursday 4th of April 2013 12:56:07 PM
Old 04-04-2013
This is not an OS thing. Which shell are you using? Mention the version too.

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 04-04-2013 at 08:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition for variable existing in file

Hi, Sorry for the dumb question but I can't seem to figure this one out. I want to write an if condition that basically checks if my variable is in a file. So far I have the following: if ] then do something else do something else fi So essentially if the grep returns something then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: if condition as variable

How can I use a variable that has the conditions for the if statement stored in it? my test script condition=" || || " if "$condition" then echo "true" else echo "false" fi output $ ./test2.sh ./test2.sh: line 3: || || : command not found false (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: curlee2002
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using shell variable in awk if condition

Hi friends, I'm having a bit of a problem using shell variable in an awk if statement. Please note that i'm using -v option as listed in many forums but I still don't get it working. Here's my code. Kindly help as I've gone crazy trying to work this out :wall: #!/bin/bash -xv ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwas.s
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the two variable with if condition

Please help me with this: I need to compare two values in if condition in shell script but its goes always to else condition: TIME_CHECK=PM TIME-CLOCK=PM if ; then echo "You have access!" else echo "ACCESS DENIED!" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with variable and condition

Hello newbies question... I just need a script able to launch a command when a condition is matched : #!/bin/ksh SIZ = 'cat /nurp/control.lst|wc -l' if test "$SIZ" -gt 0 then echo 1 else echo 2 fi but I receive errors messages ./t2: SIZ: not found 2 whats wrong ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdurieu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not displaying variable in If-Else condition

if then echo "Entry Valid : ${x_oug}" else echo "Entry Invalid : " 0 fi In the above code the 3rd line is not working... it does not print anything I tried following as well .. but no luck! echo "Entry Valid : ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable as awk condition

Hi, I'm trying to automate part of a script which uses awk to grab out some lines of a log file based on certain fields matching. For example, my log file looks something like the following (but 1000s of lines): 1 Tom 123 abc 345 2 Dick 345 abc 678 3 Harry 567 abc 345 4 Tom 345 cde 345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add second variable in awk nested if condition?

Hi Gurus, I have a command to assign value based on input value. current condition is "if pattern matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else "SUCC"right now, I need to add one more condition (variable name is VAR). the condition is "if pattern1 matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies
GIT-VAR(1)							    Git Manual								GIT-VAR(1)

NAME
git-var - Show a Git logical variable SYNOPSIS
git var ( -l | <variable> ) DESCRIPTION
Prints a Git logical variable. OPTIONS
-l Cause the logical variables to be listed. In addition, all the variables of the Git configuration file .git/config are listed as well. (However, the configuration variables listing functionality is deprecated in favor of git config -l.) EXAMPLE
$ git var GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@lnxi.com> 1121223278 -0600 VARIABLES
GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT The author of a piece of code. GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT The person who put a piece of code into Git. GIT_EDITOR Text editor for use by Git commands. The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi, $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:Program FilesVimgvim.exe" --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment variable, then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then the default chosen at compile time, which is usually vi. GIT_PAGER Text viewer for use by Git commands (e.g., less). The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell. The order of preference is the $GIT_PAGER environment variable, then core.pager configuration, then $PAGER, and then the default chosen at compile time (usually less). SEE ALSO
git-commit-tree(1) git-tag(1) git-config(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-VAR(1)