Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Verify 4 GB Limit is overcome in 64 Bit Processor Post 302789893 by Corona688 on Thursday 4th of April 2013 11:51:17 AM
Old 04-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbm
Yes I am executing 64 bit executable.
But how do I verify that I am using a 64-but address space?
If you can run a 64-bit executable, it must have a 64-bit address space. 64-bit executables cannot run in a 32-bit address space.

This might not be the same thing as being able to allocate 5 gigs of ram though, since there might be system policies in place or some such.

Do you have a C compiler on your machine?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris (verify 64 or 32 bit

Hello !! Does anyone know how can I verify if my Solaris is 32 or 64 bit ?? Thank you ! Witt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to overcome Segmentation Fault in Unix ??

Hi.. I want to add a line of data to a already existing file.. When i use echo "1i\nGROUP_NAME,JOB_NAME,STATUS,PROCESS_GROUP,JOB_START,JOB_END \n.\nwq" | ex -s abc.txt where abc.txt contains only Hello Testing Insert I am getting this.. dumb: Unknown terminal type ksh: 19464... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
4 Replies

3. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

4. Linux

Built in ram limit for 64 bit

Hey all, I have been thinking about getting a new computer, and the motherboard I am looking at is capable of holding up to 8 Gb of ram. Now it appears as though for 32 bit linux, in order to use more than 4 Gb of ram, you had to enable a certain option in the kernel, but if I remember... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kermit
2 Replies

5. Solaris

how to know the processor bit capacity

how to know for a particular solaris machine whether i am having a 64 bit or 32 bit processor??? like for machine with details SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
3 Replies

6. Programming

a large file causes segment, how to overcome?

When printing a large file, segment occured. but part of it can be printed normally. There seems no mistake in usage. How to solve the problem. Actually, the file is not very very large. Only 300-400 A4 pages. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdbug
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] processor type and bit information

Hi, I'm trying to download a compatible Oracle Client software for a HP-UX machine. I'd like to know if ... 1) HP-UX is 32 bit or 64 bit? 2) Processor type - Itanium or regular? when I execute uname -a I get HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 728684161 unlimited-user license Based on the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

overcome unwanted input values in korn shell

Hi All, we are doing automation for installation of oracle, a) ORACLE_HOME_NAME b) ORACLE_HOME above are the argument we need to pass during the script execution, while doing this someone issue the value like ORACLE_HOME=/optware/oracle/11g;rm -rf /optware/oracle/10g its removing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
1 Replies
fastbind(1)						      General Commands Manual						       fastbind(1)

NAME
fastbind - Prepare an incomplete executable for faster program start-up SYNOPSIS
incomplete-executable... DESCRIPTION
is a tool that can improve the start-up time of programs that use shared libraries (incomplete executables) by storing information about needed shared library symbols in the executable file. performs analysis on the symbols used to bind an executable and all of it's dependent shared libraries, and stores this information in the executable file. The next time the executable is run, the dynamic loader will notice that this information is available, and it will use this fastbind information to bind the executable instead of the standard search method for binding the symbols. For Itanium-based systems, the dynamic loader is for 32-bit mode or for 64-bit mode. For PA-RISC systems, the dynamic loader is for 32-bit mode or for 64-bit mode. Since writes the fastbind information in the executable file, you must have write permission on the executable file. Also, if the exe- cutable file being analyzed is being run as another process, the file will be locked against modifications by the kernel, and will fail. If the shared libraries that an executable is dependent on are modified after the fastbind information is created, the dynamic loader will silently revert to standard search method for binding the symbols. The fastbind information can be re-created by running on the executable again. will automatically erase the old fastbind information and generate the new one. The option can be used to instruct the linker to run the fastbind tool on an incomplete executable it has produced. Environment Variables If determines that the fastbind information is out of date, it will silently revert to standard search method for binding the symbols. If the environment variable is set to the dynamic loader will emit a warning message when the fastbind information is out of date. The environment variable can be set to to make the dynamic loader ignore the fastbind information and revert to the standard search method for binding the symbols. Options recognizes the following options: Remove the fastbind information from the executable, returning it to the same state it was in before was originally run on it. Normally, if detects any unsatisfied symbols while building the fastbind information, it will generate an error message and not mod- ify the executable file. When is invoked with option however, unresolved symbols are allowed. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The following internationalization variables affect the execution of Determines the locale category for native language, local customs and coded character set in the absence of and other environment variables. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of (see lang(5)) is used instead of Determines the values for all locale categories and has precedence over and other environment variables. Determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the locale category for numeric formatting. Determines the locale category for character handling functions. Determines the location of message catalogs for the processing of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to See envi- ron(5). In addition, the following environment variable affects Specifies a directory for temporary files (see tmpnam(3S)). DIAGNOSTICS
returns zero when the operation is successful. A non-zero return code indicates that an error occurred. EXAMPLES
To run on the executable file enter: To later remove the fastbind information from the executable file enter: WARNINGS
32-bit PA-RISC does not work with EXEC_MAGIC executables. effectively enforces bind restricted and bind immediate. For example, consider an executable linked bind deferred, which calls a function foo() defined in an implicitly loaded library. Before the actual call is made, if it explicitly loads a shared library (using shl_load(3X) with having a definition for when is finally called, it will be resolved from the explicitly loaded library. But after running the symbol will be resolved from the implicitly loaded library. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. FILES
output file 32-bit PA-RISC dynamic loader 32-bit Itanium-based dynamic loader 64-bit PA-RISC dynamic loader 64-bit Itanium-based dynamic loader message catalog temporary files SEE ALSO
System Tools ld(1) invoke the link editor Miscellaneous a.out(4) assembler, compiler, and linker output dld.sl(5) PA-RISC dynamic loader dld.so(5) Itanium-based dynamic loader Texts and Tutorials