Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To Remove multiple new lines
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users To Remove multiple new lines Post 302789839 by pamu on Thursday 4th of April 2013 09:49:31 AM
Old 04-04-2013
Yoda's code should work Smilie

try
Code:
awk '/\|$/{print}!/\|$/{printf $0}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain lines in multiple txt files?

Hi , I have this type of files:- BGH.28OCT2008.00000001.433155.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000002.1552361.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000003.1438355.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000004.1562602.001 Inside them contains the below: 5Discounts 6P150 - Max Total Usage RM150|-221.00 P150 EPP - Talktime RM150... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olloong
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines in the file

Hi, How to remove duplicate lines in the file. a ------ b c 24 23 a ---- c b (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove multiple set of lines in one command

is there a way with sed to removed more than one set of lines in one line? so i mean sed ${firstElem},${lastIndex}d web.xml > web1.xml this will delete lines between ${firstElem},${lastIndex} i want in the same line to do somethinkg like this (doesn't work so far) sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poki
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines from a particular string to particular string

Hi, I have a file containing the DDLs of tables in a schema. From that I need to remove all the lines from a starting string till a specific string. Here is an example. File1.txt ------------- CREATE TABLE "SCHEMA1"."LKP11_TBL_USERS" ( "ID" NUMBER(8,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, "USER_ID"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines from a text file

Hi I have a text file named main.txt with 10,000 lines. I have another file with a list of line numbers (around 1000) of the lines to be deleted from main.txt file. I tried with sed but it removes only a range of line numbers. Thanks for any help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines that match pattern

Not sure how I can accomplish this. I would like to remove all interfaces that have the commands I would like to see: switchport port-security, spanning-tree portfast. One line is no problem. interface FastEthernet0/8 spanning-tree portfast interface FastEthernet0/9 spanning-tree... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove html tag which has multiple lines in SHELL?

I want to clean a html file. I try to remove the script part in the html and remove the rest of tags and empty lines. The code I try to use is the following: sed '/<script/,/<\/script>/d' webpage.html | sed -e 's/<*>//g' | sed '/^\s*$/d' > output.txt However, in this method, I can not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: YuhuiFeng
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)