Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable in IF condition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Variable in IF condition Post 302789727 by hanson44 on Thursday 4th of April 2013 05:42:19 AM
Old 04-04-2013
Yes, AIX is apparently not that strict.

Once you have nonsense syntax, like VAR which is just a string, all bets are off, and no use trying to figure out why it might work under some apparently lax environment. It is quite odd that AIX does not detect an error. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition for variable existing in file

Hi, Sorry for the dumb question but I can't seem to figure this one out. I want to write an if condition that basically checks if my variable is in a file. So far I have the following: if ] then do something else do something else fi So essentially if the grep returns something then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: if condition as variable

How can I use a variable that has the conditions for the if statement stored in it? my test script condition=" || || " if "$condition" then echo "true" else echo "false" fi output $ ./test2.sh ./test2.sh: line 3: || || : command not found false (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: curlee2002
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using shell variable in awk if condition

Hi friends, I'm having a bit of a problem using shell variable in an awk if statement. Please note that i'm using -v option as listed in many forums but I still don't get it working. Here's my code. Kindly help as I've gone crazy trying to work this out :wall: #!/bin/bash -xv ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwas.s
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the two variable with if condition

Please help me with this: I need to compare two values in if condition in shell script but its goes always to else condition: TIME_CHECK=PM TIME-CLOCK=PM if ; then echo "You have access!" else echo "ACCESS DENIED!" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with variable and condition

Hello newbies question... I just need a script able to launch a command when a condition is matched : #!/bin/ksh SIZ = 'cat /nurp/control.lst|wc -l' if test "$SIZ" -gt 0 then echo 1 else echo 2 fi but I receive errors messages ./t2: SIZ: not found 2 whats wrong ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdurieu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not displaying variable in If-Else condition

if then echo "Entry Valid : ${x_oug}" else echo "Entry Invalid : " 0 fi In the above code the 3rd line is not working... it does not print anything I tried following as well .. but no luck! echo "Entry Valid : ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable as awk condition

Hi, I'm trying to automate part of a script which uses awk to grab out some lines of a log file based on certain fields matching. For example, my log file looks something like the following (but 1000s of lines): 1 Tom 123 abc 345 2 Dick 345 abc 678 3 Harry 567 abc 345 4 Tom 345 cde 345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add second variable in awk nested if condition?

Hi Gurus, I have a command to assign value based on input value. current condition is "if pattern matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else "SUCC"right now, I need to add one more condition (variable name is VAR). the condition is "if pattern1 matches "case", then assign "HOLD" else if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies
GIT-VAR(1)                                                          Git Manual                                                          GIT-VAR(1)

NAME
git-var - Show a Git logical variable SYNOPSIS
git var ( -l | <variable> ) DESCRIPTION
Prints a Git logical variable. OPTIONS
-l Cause the logical variables to be listed. In addition, all the variables of the Git configuration file .git/config are listed as well. (However, the configuration variables listing functionality is deprecated in favor of git config -l.) EXAMPLE
$ git var GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@lnxi.com> 1121223278 -0600 VARIABLES
GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT The author of a piece of code. GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT The person who put a piece of code into Git. GIT_EDITOR Text editor for use by Git commands. The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi, $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:Program FilesVimgvim.exe" --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment variable, then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then the default chosen at compile time, which is usually vi. GIT_PAGER Text viewer for use by Git commands (e.g., less). The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell. The order of preference is the $GIT_PAGER environment variable, then core.pager configuration, then $PAGER, and then the default chosen at compile time (usually less). SEE ALSO
git-commit-tree(1) git-tag(1) git-config(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-VAR(1)