Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed and awk -Find and Replace Post 302789613 by baluchen on Thursday 4th of April 2013 02:38:01 AM
Old 04-04-2013
sed and awk -Find and Replace

All,

I have thousands of lines in a file with following format
Code:
DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_
DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_
DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_

I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_)

So that out put should looks like
Code:
DATA=_ONE.XXX.YYY.CCC.HHHG_
DATA1=_GGG.JJJJ.HHH.UUU.JJJJ.HHHH.LLL_
DATA3=_MMM.GG.NN.QQQQ.FFF.III_

Can someone help on this?

Thanks
Bala

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed/awk] find info and replace

Hi :) I have some problems with "FOR"... I have a text file in this format: name1 www.link1/random_number name2 www.link2/random_number name3 www.link3/random_number ... (Names and info changes) Now, I need: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with sed

Hi, I have two files file1 :> val="10" port="localhost:8080" httpadd="http:\\192.168.0.239" file2 :> val=${val} port=${port} httpadd=${httpadd} fileloc=${fileloc} file3(or file2) should have following output(input from fileone) file3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin.pathak
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace using SED

I need to do a find and replace. I tried below logic but getting warnings Could you please help? a=`echo "<!DOCTYPE aaaaa bbbbb \"sample.dtd\">"` b="<!DOCTYPE aaaaa bbbbb \" /a/b/c/datain/d_k/sample.dtd \">" echo $a | sed -e "s/$a/$b/" > c.txt getting the following error sed:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace with sed

Hi, I have a file such that: tart*)*98'bank'ksb64bank)(tart2d&f44bank I want to replace to: (only between tart and bank) tart*)*98'replaced'ksb64bank)(tart2d&f44replaced Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using sed

File 1,2,33,C,B 3,5,66,K,R 1,2,33,H,M 3,5,66,M,C 6,9,66,J,F I will use the below command to find and replace in sed, where I'm using variable to find pattern. while read line do sed 's/$line/77/' file done<inputfile But here I need to find value in column 3 and... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
26 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using sed

Hi All, I have a file as shown below: myFile.dat #---------------------------------------------------------- dataFile { Name shiva; location Delhi; travelID IDNumber; } 4 ( 560065 700007 100001 200002 )... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
8 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)