Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arithmetic calculation in variable Post 302789535 by hanson44 on Wednesday 3rd of April 2013 08:56:47 PM
Old 04-03-2013
Code:
var2=`expr $var2 + 1`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation on real numbers in Bourne Shell Script

I am begining to learn bourne shell and as a practice I have written a script which when given the purchase price and percentage of discount calculates the savings. I somehow cannot figure out why my script fails to do arthimatic calculation on real numbers. Could anyone look at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation between columns using loop variable

Hi I have a file with 3 columns. say, infile: 1 50 68 34 3 23 23 4 56 ------- ------- I want to generate n files from this file using a loop so that 1st column in output file is (column1 of infile/(2*n+2.561)) I am doing like this: for ((i=1; i<=3; i++)) do a=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Surabhi_so_mh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic from csh variable passed to awk

I have the following code in a csh script I want to pass the value of the variable sigmasq to the awk script so that I can divide $0 by the value of sigmasq grep "Rms Value" $f.log \ | awk '{ sub(/*:*\.*/,x); \ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo multiple variable with calculation

$total=500 echo "scale=2; $val1*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val2*100*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val3*100/$total" | bc I want to make the above code to be accomplish in a single echo line. For instance output:21.3, 44.2, 51.6 How to achieve that, some one please help, i just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
5 Replies

8. Programming

arithmetic calculation using awk

hi there again, i need to do a simple division with my data with a number of rows. i think i wanted to have a simple output like this one: col1 col2 col3 val1 val2 val1/val2 valn valm valn/valm any suggestion is very much appreciated. thanks much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BC calculation for floating (invalid arithmetic operator )

Hi, I wish to compare the CPU LOAD 1 min with 5mins and 15mins. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 3% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is warning. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 5% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is critical. However I received following code error, I google it and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvintiow
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation in variable

Hi, Here is the script i try to perform arithmetic operation in two variables . git branch -r | while read brname ; do REV_COMMITS=`git rev-list --count $brname` echo "$brname has $REV_COMMITS" (( TOTAL = TOTAL + REV_COMMITS )) echo "in loop" $TOTAL done echo "total is " $TOTAL ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
3 Replies
DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)							 1							DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)

debug_zval_dump - Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output

SYNOPSIS
void debug_zval_dump (mixed $variable, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output. PARAMETERS
o $variable - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 debug_zval_dump(3) example <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump(&$var1); ?> The above example will output: &string(11) "Hello World" refcount(3) Note Beware the refcount The refcount value returned by this function is non-obvious in certain circumstances. For example, a developer might expect the above example to indicate a refcount of 2. The third reference is created when actually calling debug_zval_dump(3). This behavior is further compounded when a variable is not passed to debug_zval_dump(3) by reference. To illustrate, consider a slightly modified version of the above example: Example #2 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump($var1); // not passed by reference, this time ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(1) Why refcount(1)? Because a copy of $var1 is being made, when the function is called. This function becomes even more confusing when a variable with a refcount of 1 is passed (by copy/value): Example #3 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; debug_zval_dump($var1); ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(2) A refcount of 2, here, is extremely non-obvious. Especially considering the above examples. So what's happening? When a variable has a single reference (as did $var1 before it was used as an argument to debug_zval_dump(3)), PHP's engine opti- mizes the manner in which it is passed to a function. Internally, PHP treats $var1 like a reference (in that the refcount is increased for the scope of this function), with the caveat that if the passed reference happens to be written to, a copy is made, but only at the moment of writing. This is known as "copy on write." So, if debug_zval_dump(3) happened to write to its sole parameter (and it doesn't), then a copy would be made. Until then, the parameter remains a reference, causing the refcount to be incremented to 2 for the scope of the function call. SEE ALSO
var_dump(3), debug_backtrace(3), References Explained, References Explained (by Derick Rethans). PHP Documentation Group DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)