Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with a script to grep items in one file from another file Post 302789525 by ahamed101 on Wednesday 3rd of April 2013 08:25:17 PM
Old 04-03-2013
Sounds like homework.
So where are you stuck?

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing items from a file with batch

Please assist with awk scirpts: I need to remove items from a file in a batch: The file that I will remove from has the following format: abc00tef:10.81.12.3 abc01tef:10.81.12.3 abc02tef:10.81.12.3 abc03tef:10.81.12.3 abc04tef:10.81.12.3 abc05tef:10.81.12.3 I have a file which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double items in file

Hi, i need a script, which deletes doulbe items in a file. My file looks like: - - - xxx xxx G123 G234 G234 G234 o o ... First i want to sort the file an then i want to delete double items. Can anyone help me. I work under solaris10. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2k
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding missing items in file

I have a need to compare 2 files, then print results to file. Need to find items from file2 that are not found in file 1. thanks in advance! example: file 1: abcde=12 fffff=6 bbbb=35 file2: abcde=12 fffff=6 bbbb=35 ccccc=10 kkkkk=45 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: discostu
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to grep a pattern from file compare contents with another file and replace

Hi All, Need help on this I have 2 files one file file1 which has several entries as : define service{ hostgroup_name !host1,!host5,!host6,.* service_description check_nrpe } define service{ hostgroup_name !host2,!host4,!host6,.* service_description check_opt } another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namitai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find/grep two items and display both

I have a file against which I can grep a string for. I can also check for that string count using wc -l (or grep -c). I need to display the results of both in one output i.e. 'line containing string' and 'count' - what would be the most efficient way of managing this? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haider1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep Job File name and Log File name from crontab -l

Hello, I am new to shell scripting. I need to write a shell script where i can grep the name of file ie. .sh file and log file from crontab -l. #51 18 * * * /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ug634.sh > /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ug634.sh.log 2>&1 #40 17 * * * /home/oracle/refresh/refresh_ux634.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guptra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep - Searching for multiple items using one command

I am performing a regular check on UNIX servers which involves logging onto UNIX servers and using the grep command to check if a GID exists in the /etc/group directory e.g. grep 12345 /etc/group I have five to check on each server, is there anyway I can incorporate them into one command and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @MeDaveT
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete items in an array from a file

I need to create a shell script to delete multiple items (Strings) at a time from a file. I need to iterate through a list of strings. My plan is to create an array and then iterate through the array. My code is not working #!/bin/bash -x declare -a array=(one, two, three, four)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file

Hello, I have a src code file where I need to uncomment many lines. The lines I need to uncomment look like, C CALL l_r(DESNAME,DESOUT, 'Gmax', ESH(10), NO_APP, JJ) The comment is the "C" in the first column. This needs to be deleted so that there are 6 spaces preceding "CALL".... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies
sccs-help(1)							   User Commands						      sccs-help(1)

NAME
sccs-help, help - ask for help regarding SCCS error or warning messages SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/help [argument...] DESCRIPTION
The help utility retrieves information to further explain errors messages and warnings from SCCS commands. It also provides some informa- tion about SCCS command usage. If no arguments are given, help prompts for one. An argument may be a message number (which normally appears in parentheses following each SCCS error or warning message), or an SCCS com- mand name. help responds with an explanation of the message or a usage line for the command. When all else fails, try `/usr/ccs/bin/help stuck'. FILES
/usr/lib/help directory containing files of message text ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-admin(1), sccs-cdc(1), sccs-comb(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), sccs-rmdel(1), sccs-sact(1), sccs- sccsdiff(1), sccs-unget(1), sccs-val(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 sccs-help(1)