Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installation problem in Ubuntu Post 302789031 by hanson44 on Wednesday 3rd of April 2013 01:52:05 AM
Old 04-03-2013
I think it's saying it's already installed. Have you tried "apt-get remove" first, and then install it again?
This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris installation with Ubuntu and XP there..

Hi, i have for this moment Ubuntu 8.04 and XP SP2 and of course the grub loader for starting them. I donwloaded Solaris 10.5 and intend to install it but i want to know if it will rewrite the grub loader i use now (and if, it will detect all OS?) or just append the new Solaris - any case would be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cosmin B
11 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Sybase Installation on Ubuntu

Hi, Can any one please suggest me which version of Sybase 15.x I need to dowload for installing on my laptop(Dell Inspiron 1525) having Ubuntu8.1? Thanks & Regards, Siba Sankar Nayak (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Installation issue while installing ubuntu

Hi All As i m trying to install ubuntu on my virtual PC where h/w confg is as 5GB didk n 512 mb RAm. after selecting mode option, and after pressing F6 after that screen shows some msg. And not goes to next step. What is the problem n wht i shall do?? Please provide me solution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Globus 5.0.0 installation error in ubuntu 9.1

I am installing globus toolkit 5 on ubuntu, i am getting error regarding openssl build. Unable to build Openssl. I am giving the whole installer.log file below. globus@naveen-laptop:~/gt4.0.6-all-source-installer$ make | tee istaller.log /usr/local/globus//sbin/gpt-build ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveencse
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Open Solaris Installation on XP and Ubuntu

I have installed windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 in my PC. Now I need to install Solaris 10. I have planned to install it in a separate partition. I don't know whether the installation affect my existing OSs anyway (such as deleting the current GRUB loader). I would be very greateful if anyone reply. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtual-Friend
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Ubuntu server 12.04 installation

hello, i have been try installing Ubuntu server 12.04 and receiving a message: no network interface card detected. can someone help me to locate where my interface card is (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naghazky
1 Replies

7. Web Development

PHP installation on Ubuntu 12.04

Dear all I am new to php, I have already running tomcat web server on port 80, following are the details of tomcat /usr/local/www/html/TOMCAT_DEMO/tomcat whether it is possible to install and configure php without using sudo apt-get install php5 ??? please someone guide me to start php (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Installation??? How to install Ubuntu on windows 7

guys tell me steps to install ubunto of linux kali over windows 7 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roshan4u
0 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Problems with Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bugs in my new Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
7 Replies
APT-MARK(8)								APT							       APT-MARK(8)

NAME
apt-mark - show, set and unset various settings for a package SYNOPSIS
apt-mark {-f=filename | {auto | manual} pkg... | {showauto | showmanual} [pkg...] } | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help} apt-mark {hold | unhold | install | remove | purge} pkg... | {showhold | showinstall | showremove | showpurge} [pkg...] DESCRIPTION
apt-mark can be used as a unified front-end to set various settings for a package, such as marking a package as being automatically/manually installed or changing dpkg selections such as hold, install, deinstall and purge which are respected e.g. by apt-get dselect-upgrade or aptitude. AUTOMATICALLY AND MANUALLY INSTALLED PACKAGES
When you request that a package is installed, and as a result other packages are installed to satisfy its dependencies, the dependencies are marked as being automatically installed, while the package you installed explicitly is marked as manually installed. Once an automatically installed package is no longer depended on by any manually installed package it is considered no longer needed and e.g. apt-get or aptitude will at least suggest removing them. auto auto is used to mark a package as being automatically installed, which will cause the package to be removed when no more manually installed packages depend on this package. manual manual is used to mark a package as being manually installed, which will prevent the package from being automatically removed if no other packages depend on it. showauto showauto is used to print a list of automatically installed packages with each package on a new line. All automatically installed packages will be listed if no package is given. If packages are given only those which are automatically installed will be shown. showmanual showmanual can be used in the same way as showauto except that it will print a list of manually installed packages instead. Options -f=filename, --file=filename Read/Write package stats from the filename given with the parameter filename instead of from the default location, which is extended_status in the directory defined by the Configuration Item: Dir::State. PREVENT CHANGES FOR A PACKAGE
hold hold is used to mark a package as held back, which will prevent the package from being automatically installed, upgraded or removed. unhold unhold is used to cancel a previously set hold on a package to allow all actions again. showhold showhold is used to print a list of packages on hold in the same way as for the other show commands. SCHEDULE PACKAGES FOR INSTALL, REMOVE AND PURGE Some front-ends like apt-get dselect-upgrade can be used to apply previously scheduled changes to the install state of packages. Such changes can be scheduled with the install, remove (also known as deinstall) and purge commands. Packages with a specific selection can be displayed with showinstall, showremove and showpurge respectively. More information about these so called dpkg selections can be found in dpkg(1). OPTIONS
-h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. FILES
/var/lib/apt/extended_states Status list of auto-installed packages. Configuration Item: Dir::State::extended_states. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8),aptitude(8),apt.conf(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-mark returns zero on normal operation, non-zero on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Mike O'Connor APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 25 September 2015 APT-MARK(8)