Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Configure LVM to gain access to the data on disks Post 302788973 by prvnrk on Tuesday 2nd of April 2013 08:52:21 PM
Old 04-02-2013
Configure LVM to gain access to the data on disks

Hello friends,

We had to upgrade RHEL 4.x to 5.7 so we took complete backup. Since DIRECT UPGRADE not possible, we rebuilt 5.7 from scratch.

We had lvm configuration on DATA disks in previous OS and now we need to configure such that we should be able to have same old LVM configuration (like VGs and LVs etc.) so that we could access the data on those volumes.

Could any kind soul provide me step-by-step on how to do this? (Yes, I have backup of /etc/lvm etc. of previous OS).

I thought of just copying Old /etc/lvm into new one and start lvm daemon. will it work?

TIA

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Problem for restoring lvm on different disks

Hi all, I have a server running in RH ES4, the SCSI HD are running in RAID 1. I backup the LVM config by using 'vgcfgbackup' and then remove all the HD. I insert another HD (same size & branch but different model) into the machine and run linux rescue to recreate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing)

Hello All, I am a newbee in HP UX wanted to know how to configure DNS,NFS,NIS,LDAP and LVM(mirror,sparing and multipathing) in HP UX 11iv2 and v3 and i did go through some of the docs on hp.com but i think those are for experience UX users and i am new to this so if some one could just mention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolsami
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

4. SuSE

Remove disks from VGs in LVM

Hi, I have following set up on Open suse 11 vgdisplay pvdisplay lvdisplay I would like to remove these disks /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc from LVM and do not use them for anything.. Can anyone please help me with this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upengan78
1 Replies

5. Linux

LVM (volume manager) and virtual disks

:eek: Hi guys, I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I am trying to set up a virtual server environment. ( I am using VirtualBox, but I think this is irrelevant to this problem.) I have downloaded a pre-packaged Linux virtual disk, with which I have successfully started a virtual instance of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to configure smb.conf for read and copy access only

Hi there, I want to give access with samba to a folder but with read and copy rights but no write. I don't want somebody to be able to delete the files. I found the read only parameter but this doesn't allow the users to copy the files. Is there an option for this? The configuration looks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Configure Squid to use LDAP group auth to deny internet access

Hi all We have squid-2.5.STABLE11-3.FC4 running in our environment. LDAP authentication works fine. Active Directory 2003 Users are prompted to enter credentials every time they access the net. The system works perfectly, but I need to configure Squid to block users in a specific AD group.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Create volume using LVM over 2 physical disks

I wanted to know how we can combine volumes over 2 physical drives. # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
16 Replies

9. Linux

Recovering corrupted LVM data: No readable superblocks

Hi all. Not sure where to post this, so figured I'd start here. I have a LVM2 partition that has become unreadable. I've scoured dozens of threads about the topic and have hit a wall, so any advice is appreciated. Below is what I think shows what my major problem is: First, a simple mount... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dargason
3 Replies
VGREDUCE(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  VGREDUCE(8)

NAME
vgreduce - reduce a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgreduce [-a|--all] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--removemissing] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName [Physi- calVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgreduce allows you to remove one or more unused physical volumes from a volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all Removes all empty physical volumes if none are given on command line. --removemissing Removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group, if there are no logical volumes allocated on those. This resumes normal operation of the volume group (new logical volumes may again be created, changed and so on). If this is not possible (there are logical volumes referencing the missing physical volumes) and you cannot or do not want to remove them manually, you can run this option with --force to have vgreduce remove any partial LVs. Any logical volumes and dependent snapshots that were partly on the missing disks get removed completely. This includes those parts that lie on disks that are still present. If your logical volumes spanned several disks including the ones that are lost, you might want to try to salvage data first by acti- vating your logical volumes with --partial as described in lvm (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgextend(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGREDUCE(8)