Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to insert EOL?
Operating Systems Linux How to insert EOL? Post 302788719 by mrn6430 on Tuesday 2nd of April 2013 12:02:11 PM
Old 04-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Code:
echo "" >> filename

did not work !

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail, EOL not effecting

Hello, I am using the following script to read some log and then contruct my email for notification. When I run this on my test server, i am getting the output as below, But when I move to another server, the EOL seems to not affect, should I use some setting so the output is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing special characters @ EOL

How to remove special chracters @ END OF EACH LINE in a file file1.txt: 0003073413^M 0003073351^M 0003073379^M 0003282724^M 0003323334^M 0003217159^M 0003102760^M 0002228911^M I used the below command but it is not working ? perl -pi -e 's/^M\/g' file1.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove EOL selectively

Hi, I have a text as below test1 test2 test3\ test4 test5 test6 test7 newtest1 newtest2\ newtest3 newtest4 newtest5 And need this to be replaces to test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 test7 newtest1 newtest2 newtest3 newtest4 newtest5 So my requirement is to remove the EOL... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
5 Replies

4. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Delete to eol after PASS with sed

working on script and saving ftp log before log save want to remove the password password appears after constant "PASS" thanks pp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppaprota
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete to eol after pattern with sed

working on interactive ftp script saving log and want to remove the password from log so "quote PASS foofoo" would become "quote PASS XXXXXXX" replacing or removing the password is of no matter have tried several sed commands but have only been successful with character matching not pattern ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppaprota
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to remove ^M from the EOL?

The only way I know of is manually as follows: To remove for example ^M from a file: - vi the file name that has ^M at the end of each line. - Hit <Esc> - Type :g/ - Hold the CNTRL key and press V and M then release the CNTRL key At the buttom you should see this by now: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

No eol in swap file

I was editing a file with vi and crashed so when I opened the file again I had the .swp file to deal with. I made the wrong choice trying to recover my file and wound up with a file with no eol (end of line) characters. I have forgotten the code to substitute and don't want to make an even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gale
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Internet Explorer EOL

Hard to imagine that in the two decades of its existence this product once ruled supreme, but the news is finally there: RIP Internet Explorer: Twitter mourns and mocks death of Microsoft (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies
ERB(1)							 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						    ERB(1)

NAME
erb -- Ruby Templating SYNOPSIS
erb [--version] [-UPdnvx] [-E ext[:int]] [-S level] [-T mode] [-r library] [--] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
erb is a command line front-end for ERB library, which is an implementation of eRuby. ERB provides an easy to use but powerful templating system for Ruby. Using ERB, actual Ruby code can be added to any plain text document for the purposes of generating document information details and/or flow control. erb is a part of Ruby. OPTIONS
--version Prints the version of erb. -E external[:internal] --encoding external[:internal] Specifies the default value(s) for external encodings and internal encoding. Values should be separated with colon (:). You can omit the one for internal encodings, then the value (Encoding.default_internal) will be nil. -P Evaluates lines starting with % as Ruby code and removes the tailing EOLs. -S level Specifies the safe level in which eRuby script will run. -T mode Specifies trim mode (default 0). mode can be one of 0 EOL remains after the embedded ruby script is evaluated. 1 EOL is removed if the line ends with %>. 2 EOL is removed if the line starts with <% and ends with %>. - EOL is removed if the line ends with -%>. And leading whitespaces are removed if the erb directive starts with <%-. -U can be one of Sets the default value for internal encodings (Encoding.default_internal) to UTF-8. -d --debug Turns on debug mode. $DEBUG will be set to true. -h --help Prints a summary of the options. -n Used with -x. Prepends the line number to each line in the output. -v Enables verbose mode. $VERBOSE will be set to true. -x Converts the eRuby script into Ruby script and prints it without line numbers. EXAMPLES
Here is an eRuby script <?xml version="1.0" ?> <% require 'prime' -%> <erb-example> <calc><%= 1+1 %></calc> <var><%= __FILE__ %></var> <library><%= Prime.each(10).to_a.join(", ") %></library> </erb-example> Command % erb -T - example.erb prints <?xml version="1.0" ?> <erb-example> <calc>2</calc> <var>example.erb</var> <library>2, 3, 5, 7</library> </erb-example> SEE ALSO
ruby(1). And see ri(1) documentation for ERB class. REPORTING BUGS
Security vulnerabilities should be reported via an email to <security@ruby-lang.org>. Reported problems will be published after being fixed. And you can report other bugs and feature requests via the Ruby Issue Tracking System (http://bugs.ruby-lang.org). Do not report security vulnerabilities via the system because it publishes the vulnerabilities immediately. AUTHORS
Written by Masatoshi SEKI. UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX