Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to preserve gawk in ssh?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to preserve gawk in ssh? Post 302788689 by newbie2010 on Tuesday 2nd of April 2013 10:46:32 AM
Old 04-02-2013
How to preserve gawk in ssh?

I am trying to extract some information out of a policy listing command. I have the following:

Code:
for server in test1 test2; do ssh $server '/usr/listinfo policy -L |gawk 'NR == 2'';done

This runs without the awk and sshs to remote server, but with the gawk then I get gawk command not found. How do I make sure the gawk is picked up? Is there a way to avoid the pipe?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserve timestamp of symlinks using rsync

Hi, In my shell programming, When i copy sym links from one server to another server using rsync it does not preserve time stamp . it showing current time after copying in destination server.the command i used is rsync -vaR -- How can i preserve sym links time stamp using rsync. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve first line and search in others

Hi gurus Is possible to preserve first line of text and search in another lines ? the only way that I think is: ps aux | awk '{if (NR==1) {print $0} else if ($11 ~ /sshd/) {print $0}}' but is there any more elegant way ? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

update files and preserve date

I have a bunch of historical files that need to be modified, as the file source announced there is an error in them which should be corrected. I am planning to use sed to do the mass update, but I would like to know if there is a way to preserve files last modified date/time, so later ls -ltr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to preserve hard links. Why?

Hi, I'm trying to create a Makefile that would automate remastering Knoppix distribution. As a part of the process I am mounting using linux cloop device a compressed filesystem and copy the content out of it to separate dir. However during that process I need to preserve hard links and it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpc.ucore.info
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect doesn't preserve the stderr

Hello, I am performing the follwing line from a unix server: expect -c 'spawn ssh otherHost chown -R user:group /usr ; expect password: ; send 123456\n ; interact ;' I am getting return value 0, an empty stderr and a stdout that says "/usr/... Not owner, /usr/... Not Owner ..". If I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
2 Replies

7. Programming

Ways to preserve a memory cache

The environment is Java/Windows. The program keeps near real-time state in memory cache, which is updated by multiple sources, size of the cache is roughly 500 MB, frequency of updates is ~ 20 per second. I am looking into different ways to keep current snapshot of the memory on the disk for a)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve value between different run of script.

I have a script that test for server up status. I need to preserve the value of status between every run of the script. test.sh log=$(cat /tmp/log_status) start loop test for servers print status for munin etc test=$(echo -e "${test}${status},") end loop echo $test >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - How to preserve whitespace?

Given a file: # configuration file for newsyslog # $FreeBSD: /repoman/r/ncvs/src/etc/newsyslog.conf,v 1.50 2005/03/02 00:40:55 brooks Exp $ # # Entries which do not specify the '/pid_file' field will cause the # syslogd process to be signalled when that log file is rotated. This # action... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve the value of a variable from being overwritten?

Hi All, I am new new to unix.com, I have a question related to shell scripting. We have a Oracle database backup shell script, which can be used for taking full, incremental & archive log backup based on the parameters passed. Within the script we export a variable as export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
5 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)