Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Switching between Windows and UNIX Post 302788335 by ravisingh on Monday 1st of April 2013 02:37:37 PM
Old 04-01-2013
Corona, I downloaded 32-bit & tried to install it in the virtual machine. It's Fedora 16 (size=605 MB, the name of the file I downloaded is : Fedora-16-i686-Live-Desktop.iso). But I got an error that "an error has occured. please log off and try again". Please see screen shot named error_load. I clicked "log off" and it seemed that some operation was going on. I thought the OS is getting installed but the screen didn't show any sign to confirm that OS is getting installed. I didn't do anything and then after more than an hour later got a message "GNOME failed to start properly....". Please see the screen shot named Guest-Linux.
Then after waiting for quite a long time, not sure what to do, I went to my virtual machine. Changed the boot order to hard disk 1st and clicked start. But couldn't get my Linux.
I am also attaching 2 more files which may not be necessary but you can have a look.
How to proceed ahead please?
Switching between Windows and UNIX-fedora1png
Switching between Windows and UNIX-untitledpng
Switching between Windows and UNIX-guest-linuxpng
Switching between Windows and UNIX-error_loadpng

Last edited by ravisingh; 04-01-2013 at 03:46 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Kernel Switching?

How do I go about switching from one Kernel to another? I figure the process is somewhat like "compile -> remove old boot reference -> add new boot reference -> reboot/restart kernel"... but honestly I have no idea how to do this... I'm trying to test out a piece of software, but it only runs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Switching from dial-up to DSL on Windows

I have been using dial up for my internet connection for the past 6 months on Windows. Before that, I used DSL. Now, I am trying to switch back to DSL but I can't connect to internet on my Windows. there is no problem, I am sure, on the DSL connection, since I have dual-boot Linux installed and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies

4. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between users on UNIX without private key (intentional)

Hello Everyone, I'm new to unix and having trouble with switching users s_user='sample_user', I need to connect to a remote server using the user "sampleuser" copy files on that remote server. However I am not allowed to add a private key to that same server nor add scripts on sampleuser's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AmazingTyagoman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching server in UNIX via shell script (SSH )

Requirement: I am writing a shell script which take some file from say Server1 and I have to execute some command on Server2 then I have to manipulate the data and based on that I have to produce report. Problem:I can schedule the shell script on only one server (Server1 or Server2) So, In the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raks2301
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies
dxshutdown(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     dxshutdown(8)

NAME
dxshutdown - Performs various types of automated system shutdown. SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxshutdown OPTIONS
The dxshutdown command accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command-line options, which are documented in the OPTIONS section of the X(1X) reference page. DESCRIPTION
The Shutdown Manager application, dxshutdown, provides the system administrator with a graphical user interface for running user-specified scripts at shutdown time in addition to performing the following types of automated system shutdown: Halt (and restart console mode) Reboot Single-user mode shutdown Message-only shutdown Dependencies: None. You do not need to configure anything prior to running Shutdown Manager. You must be root to run Shutdown Manager. Shutdown Manager also lets the system administrator display one or more warning messages prior to system shutdown. The dxshutdown command uses the Tru64 UNIX shutdown command as an API, passing command-line arguments as specified by application defaults and user inputs. The Shutdown Manager also provides the following features, which the shutdown command does not provide: Selection of a preshutdown script to be executed prior to system shutdown Easy cancellation for a shutdown while the timed countdown is in progress Maintenance of an error- and-script output log under /var/adm/sysman/dxshutdown.log Saving and restoring user-selected shutdown options over multiple invocations of the Shutdown Manager application For additional information about the graphical user interface, see the online help volume, which is available from the Help button in the main window of the Shutdown Manager application. To start dxshutdown from the graphical user interface: Click on the Application Manager icon on the CDE front panel. Double click on the System_Admin application group icon. Double click on the Daily Admin application group icon. Double click on the Shutdown Manager appli- cation icon. EXAMPLES
To start Shutdown Manager from the command line, enter: dxshutdown To open the Shutdown Manager help volume from the command line, enter the following command: /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/DXshutdown.sdl FILES
Shutdown Manager executable Shutdown Manager log file Shutdown Manager help volume Shutdown Manager resource file (for option settings) SEE ALSO
Commands: fasthalt(8), halt(8), rc0(8), reboot(8), rwalld(8), shutdown(8), sync(8), X(1X) dxshutdown(8)