Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp : Post 302787537 by ahamed101 on Friday 29th of March 2013 07:51:28 PM
Old 03-29-2013
Try this

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{mon["Jan"]=1;mon["Feb"]=2;mon["Mar"]=3;mon["Apr"]=4;mon["May"]=5;mon["Jun"]=6;mon["Jul"]=7;mon["Aug"]=8;mon["Sep"]=9;mon["Oct"]=10;mon["Nov"]=11;mon["Dec"]=12;} 
{ split($8, hhmm, /:/); format="2012 "mon[$6]" "$7" "hhmm[1]" "hhmm[2]" 00 00"; t=mktime(format); a[t]=$0; b[++j]=t; } 
END{n=asort(b); for(i=1;i<=n;i++){print a[b[i]]}}' input_file

--ahamed

---------- Post updated at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:49 PM ----------

Updated the code : there was a syntax error.

--ahamed
This User Gave Thanks to ahamed101 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file by date using perl

Hello, do any body help me to sort a file by date using perl? thanks in advance Esham (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
4 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort paragraphs by date within a file

hi all i want help in sortng date in paragraphs within file , i want to ask as if there any option to sort a certain pattern of file not the rest of file.i.e the data of file become sorted with respect to date i have a log file as follows !! *A0628/081 /08-01-10/13 H... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nabmufti
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a field in a file having date values

Hi All, I am having a pipe delimited file .In this file the 3rd column is having date values.I need to get the min date and max date from that file. I have used cut -d '|' test.dat -f 3|sort -u But it is not sorting the date .How to sort the date column using unix commands Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort content of text file based on date?

I now have a 230,000+ lines long text file formatted in segments like this: Is there a way to sort this file to have everything in chronological order, based on the date and time in the text? In this example, I would like the result to be: (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to sort entries in a file by date and time

Hello All, Need a shell script to sort entries in a file by date and time. Below are the entries in the file, i need to sort it first by the date and then time Note :- Date is in MM/DD/YY format and date comes as the 6th & time comes on 7th coloumns respectively. 150 pbnawldb001-b... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort list of file based on similarity

Input file (long list of input file): s_1_1_AABCD.txt s_1_1_ABADA.txt s_1_1_DSCBA.txt s_1_1_DSCCA.txt s_1_1_EATTG.txt s_1_1_FADSD.txt s_1_1_TGACC.txt s_1_1_TTAGG.txt s_1_2_AABCD.txt s_1_2_ABADA.txt s_1_2_DSCBA.txt s_1_2_DSCCA.txt s_1_2_EATTG.txt s_1_2_FADSD.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies
POSIX::strptime(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      POSIX::strptime(3pm)

NAME
POSIX::strptime - Perl extension to the POSIX date parsing strptime(3) function SYNOPSIS
($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $mon, $year, $wday, $yday) = POSIX::strptime("string", "Format"); DESCRIPTION
Perl interface to strptime(3) FUNCTIONS
strptime ($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $mon, $year, $wday, $yday) = POSIX::strptime(string, format); The result for any value not extracted is not defined. Some platforms may reliably return "undef", but this is dependent on the strptime(3) function in the underlying C library. For example, only the following fields may be relied upon: my ($min, $hour) = ( POSIX::strptime( "01:23", '%H:%M' ) )[1,2]; my ($mday, $mon, $year) = ( POSIX::strptime( "2010/07/16", '%Y/%m/%d' ) )[3,4,5]; Furthermore, not all platforms will set the $wday and $yday elements. If these values are required, use "mktime" and "gmtime": use POSIX qw( mktime ); use POSIX::strptime qw( strptime ); my ($mday, $mon, $year) = ( POSIX::strptime( "2010/07/16", '%Y/%m/%d' ) )[3,4,5]; my $wday = ( gmtime mktime 0, 0, 0, $mday, $mon, $year )[6]; SEE ALSO
strptime(3) AUTHOR
Philippe M. Chiasson <gozer@cpan.org> Kim Scheibel <kim@scheibel.co.uk> REPOSITORY
http://svn.ectoplasm.org/projects/perl/POSIX-strptime/trunk/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 by Philippe M. Chiasson <gozer@cpan.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2010-07-16 POSIX::strptime(3pm)