Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read not prompting/ pausing for input Post 302787431 by Cloudy_Cat on Friday 29th of March 2013 01:35:41 PM
Old 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
Try running the following command to debug your script:

Code:
sh -x <your script>

Nope that doesn't help one little bit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pausing a script

hello all, I have a script (Solaris v8 ksh) monitoring an inbound directory for reports. The script will then capture the report based on a set of circumstances. However I am unable to capture a report larger then 2-Gig in size due to program limitations. What I need to do is pause the monitor... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompting for Input - Getting Undefined Variable

#!/bin/csh -f echo "Enter MEUPS User Id :-" read UID echo "You entered $UID" --------------------------------------- Whn executed, I get an error message "UID: Undefined variable" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read is not pausing to read

Can anyone tell me why this section of my script doesn't work? The script is designed to accept piped data, store it in a temporary location, and then prompt the user for their user name. It doesn't stop to read the username, however. It just finishes. It is called like: cat datafile | myscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegerdt
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read input file

echo "enter employee #:/c" read employee grep -w $employee /tmp/file.txt when it asked me employee #, i typed employee, worked fine. when it asked me employee #, i type ENTER, it just sit there. if someone type in NULL or ENTER key, i want to exit out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input

I have a script. #! /bin/bash echo "Enter a word: " read word echo $word That outputs like this.. Enter a word: hello hello But how can i read on the same line the question is printed? Like this.. Enter a word: hello hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Input and go BG

My script needs to get some input from the user and go as a background process and run. I have something like read input. do while ... if .. fi done can i use nohup inside the script?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antergen
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input for read command

Hello, I want to use the read command in order to input a keyword from the keyboard. I then want to use this keyword in a grep command. How to I input a phrase as a keyword? For example if I use read keyword "today is" and then use grep, I get "No such file or directory" error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)