Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execution problem with the FTP shellscript Post 302787367 by Yoda on Friday 29th of March 2013 09:42:04 AM
Old 03-29-2013
I see there is a typo in the variable that you are using inside the ftp client program!

You defined the variable PASSWD initially, but later you are using variable PASSWORD which is undefined:
Code:
PASSWD='password'

sourcedir=`dirname $FILE_NAME`
filename=`basename $FILE_NAME`

cd $sourcedir

ftp -nv $HOST <<EOF
user $USER $PASSWORD

By the way if this approach still does not work, use ftp client program command quote to send username and password to ftp server:
Code:
ftp -n $HOST <<EOF
quote USER $USER
quote PASS $PASSWD
put $filename
EOF

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp in Shellscript

Can I do something like this from a shellscript ?: ftp 12.34.56.78 <<! username password put a.c bye ! It does not go through as the login fails. Is there any alternative to do the above requirement? Thanks in advance. Gowrish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggowrish
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shellscript execution context - exit statement

Hi all, Could someone please explain to me the shell invocation process when running a script. How do I stop the shell from logging out when it reaches an exit statement in the script? if ; then echo 'Failed to copy ${FILE}.fmx to ${J2_HOME}/dev/rsc' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: richgi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shellscript problem

hI, Pls consider the following shell script #!/bin/csh -f sqlplus tkyte/tkyte <<"EOF" > tmp.csh set serveroutput on declare a number:=5; begin dbms_output.put_line( 'a:='||a ); end; / spool off "EOF" The above script does the followin 1)it connects... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Problem in Shellscript

Hi, i have a problem with sed i want to substitude a / to ",""," in the following pattern: number/number so if u have a file which contains -> "Streetname 9/8/6" it shouldn't substitude anything, only if it is "Streetname 9/6" to "Streetname 9","","6". Maybe you can help me, i try so many... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urukai
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

Hi i am using expect module and trying to login using following code. ssh 127.0.0.1 expect "word:" send "$password \n" kindly let me know the login script using expect module (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esumiba
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

Hi I am automating my few commands out of which one command is tail -f running.logs when i run this command it does not automatically exit and show prompt (#) what would i do so that it will exit out automatically after few seconds and move to the next command without using ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execution problem

HI I am trying to check the status of port using command /code: netstat -an | grep port /Output: *.2009 *.* 0 0 65535 0 LISTEN what i am trying to do is i want to grep only status Wether the port is established/listen if so show ok else... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem

Hi, I have been trying to run a simple script CONFIG_FILE="/jay/check" . . . for i in `cat $CONFIG_FILE` do loc=`echo $i | cut -d "|" -f2` var=$(find $loc -mtime -1|wc -l) if then echo $loc has files older than 1 day fi done . . . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayii
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem

How to search a pattern from multiple files... i used the command suppose the pattern name is xxx grep xxx (file1-o- file2-o- file3) Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksakil
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple Shellscript for uploading files to a specific folder on a ftp-server?

hi! Iam using my D-link DNS-320 (NAS) with fun_plug installed (a unix client) I am currently using cron to run a shellscript running a java-application that creates a couple of txt files. These files needs to be uploaded to a specific folder on my webhosts ftp server-account. I need a... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nigge
16 Replies
PASSWD(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - the password file DESCRIPTION
/etc/passwd contains one line for each user account, with seven fields delimited by colons (":"). These fields are: o login name o optional encrypted password o numerical user ID o numerical group ID o user name or comment field o user home directory o optional user command interpreter The encrypted password field may be blank, in which case no password is required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/passwd file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is blank. If the password field is a lower-case "x", then the encrypted password is actually stored in the shadow(5) file instead; there must be a corresponding line in the /etc/shadow file, or else the user account is invalid. If the password field is any other string, then it will be treated as an encrypted password, as specified by crypt(3). The comment field is used by various system utilities, such as finger(1). The home directory field provides the name of the initial working directory. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $HOME environmental variable. The command interpreter field provides the name of the user's command language interpreter, or the name of the initial program to execute. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $SHELL environmental variable. If this field is empty, it defaults to the value /bin/sh. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow optional encrypted password file /etc/passwd- Backup file for /etc/passwd. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
crypt(3), getent(1), getpwnam(3), login(1), passwd(1), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), shadow(5), su(1), sulogin(8). File Formats and Conversions 06/24/2011 PASSWD(5)