Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Read file and skip the line starting with # Post 302787237 by hanson44 on Friday 29th of March 2013 03:20:22 AM
Old 03-29-2013
Try simplifying some. Comment out the ssh and scp lines that do the work, and add the diagnostic echo line, to see what is going on:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh
file2put=$1
if [ -f $file2copy ]; then
  echo "File found, preparing to transfer... \n"
  grep -v '^#' server.cfg > valid_servers
  while read line; do
    echo line = $line
    # ssh $line < checkdirectory.sh #another script to check the existing of directory
    # scp $file2put $server:~/folder_name/$file2copy
  done < valid_servers
  exit
else
  echo "File does not exist. Exiting..."
  exit 
fi

If that does not help, put "set -x" on the second line of the script, and trace the diagnostic messages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to skip first line from a file while manupulating the file

I need to put single quotes on the columns of a .csv file. The first row contains the column headers. I need to skip the first row and put quotes for rest of the rows. Would please someone help me with this. Thanks JP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPalt
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read .txt file and dropping lines starting with #

Hi All, I have a .txt file with some contents as below: Hi How are you? # Fine and you? I want a script file which reads the .txt file and output the lines which does not start with #. Hi How are you? Help is highly appreciated. Please use code tags when posting data and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skip first line when doing a read of csv file

Folks, how do i skip the first line in a csv, while doing the read of a csv file in to a variable line by line. eg : do echo $line done < $rpt where rpt is path to csv file The initial 1st line is a garbage that i want to avoid, and start reading from 2nd line ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to skip a line in XML file using awk

HI All, I am trying to split a xml using awk. now the issue is i want to skip three lines from the xml file. first two and last one based on pattern. plz some one help. i am new to awk and struggling :wall: <?xml version="1.0"?> <notification> ..... ..... ..... ..... ........ (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesan kulasek
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file starting at certain line number?

I am new to ksh scripts. I would like to be able to read a file line by line from a certain line number. I have a specific line number saved in a variable, say $lineNumber. How can I start reading the file from the line number saved in $lineNumber? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcowboys13
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
TOSHSAT1800-IRDASETUP(1)					   User Commands					  TOSHSAT1800-IRDASETUP(1)

NAME
toshsat1800-irdasetup - IrDA setup utility for Toshiba Satellite 1800 SYNOPSIS
toshsat1800-irdasetup [options] DESCRIPTION
IrDA configurator for laptops with ALI1533 bridge (LPC47N227 SuperIO), smc-ircc and not initializing BIOS (tested on Toshiba Satellite 1800-514) to be used with Linux kernel. OPTIONS
-a, --skip-decoding-cfg skip ISA bridge decoding configuration -b, --skip-smc-ircc-cfg skip SMC-IRCC configuration -v, --vendor=VALUE look for the specified ISA bridge PCI vendor id -x, --device=VALUE look for the specified ISA bridge PCI device id -c, --cfgbase=VALUE set SMC-IRCC IO cfgbase address -s, --sirbase=VALUE set SMC-IRCC IO sirbase address -f, --firbase=VALUE set SMC-IRCC IO firbase address -m, --dma=VALUE set SMC-IRCC DMA channel -i, --irq=VALUE set SMC-IRCC IRQ -p, --print print ISA bridge configuration -h, --help show this help SEE ALSO
More detailed information in /usr/share/doc/toshset/README.IrDA or online at http://www.csai.unipa.it/peri/toshsat1800-irdasetup/ AUTHOR
toshsat1800-irdasetup was written by Daniele Peri <peri@csai.unipa.it>. This manual page was written by Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). toshsat1800-irdasetup August 2005 TOSHSAT1800-IRDASETUP(1)