Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Play sound
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Play sound Post 302787025 by sreejithalokkan on Thursday 28th of March 2013 02:30:04 PM
Old 03-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker
(This could be homework.)

I am not sure i am understanding you correctly but I assume you want the sounds to be like morse code...

This will generate a single tone.

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...ator-demo.html

It is up to you to work out morse code with it which is not difficult...

Alternatively if it as voice you want the look at "cat" and use it to record raw voice data directly to disk, as <number>.raw using a laptop's internal mic for ease of use...

This assumes that you have /dev/dsp as a device.

Not sure why you need <number>.wav but if that is a requirement then look at SOX for doing all of the above...
I need a simple text to speech converter.I have already have sounds corresponding to digits(0 to 9) in wav format.So when my input is for eg: one two three,then i should able to play one.wav two,wav three.wav.I hope you understood my problem

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

play cd? how?

hi all, How do I set up my cdrom to play some regular audio cd (not cd-r or cd-rw). I know that my cdrom has been mounted as it does pop up the file manager if I put in, e.g., the office52 cd. Thanks in advance. Andre (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need something new to play with

I posted this question in the dummies forums, but I would like to get a more expert opinion... I am looking for a new OS to play with. I have a celron 450 running slackware linux, a powermac G4 450 running Mac OS X (Which by the way has 81 days of uptime as of this moment), a PowerBook G3 running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewhite04
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Play A Cd On Unix

HI I AM A FRESH NEW USER ...I MEAN I JUST GOT A COMPUTER ALMOST FOR FREE AND IT RUNS UNIX WHICH I DIDN'T EXPECT AND DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK ON IT I THOUGHT IT'LL BE WITH WINDOWS ..YOU KNOW SO HOW DO I PLAY A CD IN IT. REMEMBER I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT UNIX , BUT I THINK I'LL GET OVER IT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMOTEB
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

play

dear friends, i have linux system . can i play songs in linux system. like winamp player in windows. let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
2 Replies

5. Linux

how can i play the gam

can some1 tell me how to start playing? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123456
2 Replies

6. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp

I am having problems using soundes. Until a few moments ago the following commands produced errors and no sound: cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav/ > /dev/dsp yielded: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument cat /usr/share/apps/kolf/sounds/blackhole.wav > /dev/audio yelded: /dev/audio:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a play-list

approximately the same question as the last time, but unfortunately I didn't get a working answer. I made a script with bash and gtkdialog that create a play-list. The output is for example : gtk-media-pause | CB60471-05 - Gilbert, Brantley - Country Must Be Country Wide.zip | 28897 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkfloris
3 Replies
soundstretch(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   soundstretch(1)

NAME
soundstretch - audio processing utility SYNOPSIS
soundstretch infile.wav outfile.wav [options] DESCRIPTION
SoundStretch is a simple command-line application that can change tempo, pitch and playback rates of WAV sound files. This program is intended primarily to demonstrate how the "SoundTouch" library can be used to process sound in your own program, but it can as well be used for processing sound files. USAGE
SoundStretch Usage syntax: "infile.wav" Name of the input sound data file (in .WAV audio file format). Give "stdin" as filename to use standard input pipe. "outfile.wav" Name of the output sound file where the resulting sound is saved (in .WAV audio file format). This parameter may be omitted if you don't want to save the output (e.g. when only calculating BPM rate with '-bpm' switch). Give "stdout" as filename to use standard output pipe. [options] Are one or more control options. OPTIONS
Available control options are: -tempo=n Change the sound tempo by n percents (n = -95.0 .. +5000.0 %) -pitch=n Change the sound pitch by n semitones (n = -60.0 .. + 60.0 semitones) -rate=n Change the sound playback rate by n percents (n = -95.0 .. +5000.0 %) -bpm=n Detect the Beats-Per-Minute (BPM) rate of the sound and adjust the tempo to meet 'n' BPMs. When this switch is applied, the " -tempo" switch is ignored. If "=n" is omitted, i.e. switch " -bpm" is used alone, then the BPM rate is estimated and displayed, but tempo not adjusted according to the BPM value. -quick Use quicker tempo change algorithm. Gains speed but loses sound quality. -naa Don't use anti-alias filtering in sample rate transposing. Gains speed but loses sound quality. -license Displays the program license text (LGPL) NOTES
* To use standard input/output pipes for processing, give "stdin" and "stdout" as input/output filenames correspondingly. The standard input/output pipes will still carry the audio data in .wav audio file format. * The numerical switches allow both integer (e.g. " -tempo=123") and decimal (e.g. " -tempo=123.45") numbers. * The " -naa" and/or " -quick" switches can be used to reduce CPU usage while compromising some sound quality * The BPM detection algorithm works by detecting repeating bass or drum patterns at low frequencies of <250Hz. A lower-than-expected BPM figure may be reported for music with uneven or complex bass patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 The following command increases tempo of the sound file "originalfile.wav" by 12.5% and stores result to file "destinationfile.wav": soundstretch originalfile.wav destinationfile.wav -tempo=12.5 Example 2 The following command decreases the sound pitch (key) of the sound file "orig.wav" by two semitones and stores the result to file "dest.wav": soundstretch orig.wav dest.wav -pitch= -2 Example 3 The following command processes the file "orig.wav" by decreasing the sound tempo by 25.3% and increasing the sound pitch (key) by 1.5 semitones. Resulting .wav audio data is directed to standard output pipe: soundstretch orig.wav stdout -tempo= -25.3 -pitch=1.5 Example 4 The following command detects the BPM rate of the file "orig.wav" and adjusts the tempo to match 100 beats per minute. Result is stored to file "dest.wav": soundstretch orig.wav dest.wav -bpm=100 Example 5 The following command reads .wav sound data from standard input pipe and estimates the BPM rate: soundstretch stdin -bpm NOTES
Converted from the README.html that comes with SoundTouch. soundstretch(1)