Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line Post 302786983 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of March 2013 01:22:31 PM
Old 03-28-2013
Think awk may be more appropriate, you can use its token splitting features to extract exactly what you want. Tell it that " splits columns and the token will always be the second column, i.e. $2.

FS is the special variable for column separator, so I'm just printing quote, token, quote.

Code:
awk -F"\"" '{ print FS $2 FS }' inputfile > outputfile

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot execute/finish script because of last line syntax error: unexpected end of file/token `done'

first of all I thought the argument DONE is necessary for all scripts that have or begin with do statements which I have on my script, However, I still don't completely understand why I am receiving an error I tried adding another done argument statement but didn't do any good. I appreciate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing extra character from end

Hi, Searching through forum I found "sed 's/*$//'" can be used to remove trailing whitespaces and tabs from file. The command works fine but I see minor issue as below. Can you please suggest if I am doing something wrong here. $ cat a.txt upg_prod_test upg_prod_new $ cat a.txt |sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
11 Replies
IP-TOKEN(8)							       Linux							       IP-TOKEN(8)

NAME
ip-token - tokenized interface identifier support SYNOPSIS
ip token { COMMAND | help } ip token set TOKEN dev DEV ip token del dev DEV ip token get [ dev DEV ] ip token [ list ] DESCRIPTION
IPv6 tokenized interface identifier support is used for assigning well-known host-part addresses to nodes whilst still obtaining a global network prefix from Router advertisements. The primary target for tokenized identifiers are server platforms where addresses are usually manually configured, rather than using DHCPv6 or SLAAC. By using tokenized identifiers, hosts can still determine their network prefix by use of SLAAC, but more readily be automatically renumbered should their network prefix change [1]. Tokenized IPv6 Identifiers are described in the draft [1]: <draft-chown-6man-tokenised-ipv6-identifiers-02>. ip token set - set an interface token set the interface token to the kernel. TOKEN the interface identifier token address. dev DEV the networking interface. ip token del - delete an interface token delete the interface token from the kernel. dev DEV the networking interface. ip token get - get the interface token from the kernel show a tokenized interface identifier of a particular networking device. Arguments: coincide with the arguments of ip token set but the TOKEN must be left out. ip token list - list all interface tokens list all tokenized interface identifiers for the networking interfaces from the kernel. SEE ALSO
ip(8) AUTHOR
Manpage by Daniel Borkmann iproute2 28 Mar 2013 IP-TOKEN(8)