Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of files with *.something Post 302786953 by Corona688 on Thursday 28th of March 2013 12:53:17 PM
Old 03-28-2013
find is recursive, it will find them inside folders too if wished. You can tack wc -l onto it in the same way to get the number.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb*

I am getting the list of all the files which have "aaa" from files whose name is File*_bbb*. grep -l "aaa" File*_bbb* But I want to count the number of files. That is I want the total number of files which have "aaa" in files File*_bbb* If I run the following for getting number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split files into specified number of output files

Hi everyone, I have some large text files that I need to split into a specific number of files of equal size. As far as I know (and I don't really know that much :)) the split command only lets you specify the number of lines or bytes. The files are all of a different size, so the number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Migrainegirl
4 Replies

3. AIX

Number of files

Hi, we have one monut point /u01/abc/ under this moumt point we have files generated from august 2008 now i need to send a report that everry months how many files are generated and there used space like august month 100 files got created and they occupy 3 Gb of space .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitmathur11
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Number of files

Hi, we have one monut point /u01/abc/ under this moumt point we have files generated from august 2008 now i need to send a report that everry months how many files are generated and there used space like august month 100 files got created and they occupy 3 Gb of space . september... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitmathur11
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files only when a certain number of files match

Hi, I have many files named CCR20110720011001.CTRD CCR20110720011501.CTRD CCR20110720012001.CTRD CCR20110720012501.CTRD CCR20110720021001.CTRD ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyfright
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with number to select based on number

Hi experts, I am using KSH and I am need to display file with number in front of file names and user can select it by entering the number. I am trying to use following command to display list with numbers. but I do not know how to capture number and identify what file it is to be used for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)