Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping commands
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Piping commands Post 302786729 by iliya24 on Thursday 28th of March 2013 05:57:44 AM
Old 03-28-2013
Thx.
you said it dose not have any sence but still i wnat to understand the meaning of this command.

I did not get what the meaning of this '[^A-Da-f]' all characters that are not in between that range of A to D only or A-D plus a-F? and if this means only A to D range ?
how '^[A-Da-f]' == '[^A-Da-f]'? or the not the same ?

Another thing the grep '^[A-Da-F]' function in the original syntax
(cat f1 >> f2 | grep '^[A-Da-F]')
suppose to look for those letters that r beyond the range in f2 and do what with them?
One more question the option that you offer :
it takes f1 filters the range and then place it at f2?
How dose filter work it takes words that dose not starts with the letters or do not have them at all or just placing the words without the letters leaving empty space?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping

I am using pipes (specifically piping out) in Perl to put an array from one file into an array in a different file. I can't figure out how to transfer the array. I kow how to open the pipe : open (FILEHANDLE, "| file") or die~ but how do I transfer the array. I think it has something to do with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lnatz
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help with piping program

Hi, I am trying to write a program that will pipe any number of programs together like in the linux shell. As an example, the below code tries to execute "cat data | grep int | cut -b 1-10." The problem is that the programs never get executed for some reason. It seems like the first program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PuppyHusher
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping / Executing

I've got a file with lots of commands I want to run in it. They're formatted like so: cp /path/to/file /path/to/new/file and on and on and on. Hundreds of them. Anyways, I'd like to execute them one at a time, then check what time it is, and repeat this process until 7am. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProFiction
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping to ex from a script

Is anyone piping commands to ex from scripts? I.E. echo '%s/change this/to that/\nwq' | ex file.name I've been using it for years with AIX, Solaris, SGI, with variations ksh and Mandriva and others with pdksh. I've just started using CentOS with ksh and it no longer works. I've tried single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to perform the below csh code in Perl, but i am unfamiliar with Perl. Can anybody give me some advice on it ? Csh Code: cat filename |grep AAA| grep BBB| awk '{print("already_appended")' (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping multiple commands

Using the below code I want to find all .sff files and extract them. This works but it seems very cheap. Is there a safer more efficient way to go about this? #!/bin/bash G1=(/home/dirone) find ${G1} -type f -name \*.sff | xargs python /usr/local/bin/sff_extract.py (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper chaining and piping of commands

can someone please help me fix the below one liner? what i want to do is run a command, and if that command is successful, pipe the output of the command to another command. i'd prefer not to use any temp files for this. who -blahblah ; if ; then echo exit; fi | egrep username (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Piping commands using xargs

Need help in piping commands using xargs I have several .tar.gz files that I need to list the folder content in a subdirectory. For example, a.tar.gz b.tar.gz c.tar.gz The following command works great for each .tar.gz file but it's a pain to run the tar command for each file. tar -tf... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
11 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)