Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris) Post 302786613 by dfinch on Wednesday 27th of March 2013 09:14:31 PM
Old 03-27-2013
Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris)

Hi folks

I have a script I wrote that basically parses a bunch of config and xml files works out were to add in the new content then spits out the data into a new file.

It all works - apart from the xml and config file format in the new file

with XML files the original XML (that ends up in the destination file)
Code:
<no action="setACL" send="Y">
<ACL node="" name="" value="" />
<ACL node="" name="" value="01" />
</no>

but it should look like this (this is the new stuff I am inserting)
Code:
    <bit bitpos="" action="setACL" no="Y">
      <ACL node="" name="" value="Default" />
      <ACL node="" name="" value="00" />
    </bit>

on config files - which are just standard flat files,the original file looks like this:
Code:
# -------------------------------------------------
# LB Health Check
User-Name Equals LB accountwrite=n

but I get this:
Code:
 # LB Health Check
 User-Name Equals LB accountwrite=n

I use the same function for each file - the content is spot on I just cannot see how to get the xml formatting correct (the non-xml files I can live with) and looks like this :
Code:
      tFile=/tmp/newtest.tmp
        if [ -e ${dFile} ]; then rm -rf ${dFile}; fi
        while read line
        do
                let cnt=cnt+1;
                if [ ${cnt} -eq ${insertAtLine} ]; then
                        echo -e "${insertThis}" >> ${dFile}
                echo -e "**** Inserted OK! ****"
                else
                        echo -e ${line} >> ${dFile}
                fi
        done < ${sFile}
        cnt=0

$insertThis is the text I need to insert
$insertAtLine is the line I need to insert the text at
$dFile = destination file
$tFile = temporary file

so, basically
Code:
                      echo -e "${insertThis}" >> ${dFile}

works, and
Code:
                        echo -e ${line} >> ${dFile}

this is whats giving me grief!

This is driving me crazy btw,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing XML dynamic data via awk?

I am trying to use a line of output in an XML file as input in another new XML file for processing purposes via a shell script. Since I am a newbie though, I'm not sure how to do this since the data is different everytime. I am using this technique with static data right now: echo -n "Running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: corwin43
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and getting data from XML file using ksh script

Hi All, I have a xml file for example as described below <xml> <address> <street><street> <address/> <isbn>426728783932020308393930303</isbn> <book> <name> </name> </book> . . . </xml> My problem is to get the isbn number from the above described file using ksh script. Could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing posted XML data from a remote server?

Hi Is it possible to parse a posted xml data from a remote server in unix shell script. if so how to do that? and i need to give this script path in the push url (in remote server) . how to do this? I have tried this in asp but could not succeed....so am trying in shell scripting...the thread... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing dynamic data from a command output

Hi people, I am writing a korn shell script, and one of the command gives an output something like below: release.label.2010.03.02 objects: /project/path/to/some/file_name.ksh /project/path/another/file_name01.dat I have to retrieve the file paths one by one & use them as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiwin1000
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data from xml file is failing can't open variable

Created a korn shell script, everything is is working except this section, the variable $SYSINFO is being set, but the NASIP & NASDEV are failing, it appears to be treating the config.xml file config directory and xml as the file. Need a second set of eyes to tell me where I am messing up. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to insert data into an html table

hi, I need to create a bash shell script which picks up data from a text file and in the output file puts it into an html made table. I have to use sed and awk utilties to do this the input text file will contain data in the format: job name para1 para2 para3 para4 para4 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intern123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting variable space width data into CSV data in bash

Hi All, I was wondering how I can convert each line in an input file where fields are separated by variable width spaces into a CSV file. Below is the scenario what I am looking for. My Input data in inputfile.txt 19 15657 15685 Sr2dReader 107.88 105.51... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Parsing data in XML in Linux

Hi, I have an XML file in Linux and it contains a long string of characters. The last part of the file is like ....... ....... ....... CAD</MarketDescription></InvestorTransaction></AdvisorAccount></DivisionAdvisor></Division>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data

Experts , Below is the data: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Status available Allocatable yes VGDA 2 Cur LV 8 PE Size (Mbytes) 8 Total PE 4350 Free PE 2036 Allocated PE 2314 Stale PE 0 IO Timeout (Seconds) default --- Physical volumes ---... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing custom data into xml in Shell

Hi , I have data as below in a text file { 'AAA' => { 'A1' => 'a1 comment', 'A2' => 'a2 comment' }, 'BBB' => { 'B1' => 'b1 comment' }, 'CCC' => { 'C1' => 'c1 comment', 'C2' => 'c2 comment', 'C3' => 'c3 comment' 'C4' => 'c4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies