Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Peculiar behavior due to IFS
Operating Systems Linux Peculiar behavior due to IFS Post 302786469 by Corona688 on Wednesday 27th of March 2013 01:23:09 PM
Old 03-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Variable assignments bypass field splitting and pathname expansion (aka file globbing). IFS is irrelevant.
Interesting disctinction. I've also noticed that IFS applies here:
Code:
set -- `cat file`

But not here:

Code:
set -- $(cat file)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

SUSE9.1 Peculiar Gigabit Lan performance.

I'm having some peculiar performance issues with my Gigabit Lan. I have some 100Mb devices so I can't do the necessary "jumbo Frame" tweaks for absolute optimum performance as I'd prevent them access. I'm getting appauling transfer rates sending files to the linux machine, around 10 Mbps 3%... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a peculiar error with sftp

Whenever I sftped a particular gzipped file to a particular directory and then try to unzip it, I get Permission Denied error. With this file even I cannot do chmod. though the file permissions are -rw-r--r-- When same file I sftp to a different location I am able to gunzip it. Directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the IFS variable

Hi all, Ok os heres my situation. I have created a database style program that stores a persons info (name,address,phone number etc.) in a file ("database"). after i read in all the values above, i assign them to a line variable: line="$name^$address^$phonenum" >> phonebuk as you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djt0506
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with IFS

hi, :) I set IFS=":" But when i try to echo $IFS,i am not getting any thing on the screen escept a blank line. any help pls. cheers RRK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on IFS command!

Hi! I am working in korn shell. I want to reset the dimiliter for the set command to "|" but instead of a command prompt return I am getting something as below After issuing the command I am getting this....as if the shell is expecting something else. Can anybody suggest what's the problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding IFS=

hi i am a learner can some explain "export IFS=$(echo "\n\t\a")" i am not able to understand the functionality please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

7. AIX

Peculiar permission problem

Scenario: Step 1. I'm logging into AIX server using user id called user1 Step 2. I'm traversing to home directory of user2 Note: This user2's home directory has the permissions drwxr-s--- Step 3. I'm issuing command pwd there. I'm getting the expected output. Step 4. I'm issuing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested ifs

hi I keep getting an error with this nested if statement and am getting the error unexpected end of file, can anyone help me as to why this wont execute? #!/bin/bash #script to check wether the -i -v statements run correctly removeFile () { mv $1 $HOME/deleted }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash IFS

I am using bash and resetting IFS as below when reading the command line arguments. I do this so I can call my script as in Ex1. Ex1: ./synt2d-ray3dmod.bash --xsrc=12/20/30 This allows me to split both sides so that when I do "shift" I can get 12/20/30 What I do not understand is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies
WORDEXP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							WORDEXP(3)

NAME
wordexp, wordfree - perform word expansion like a posix-shell SYNOPSIS
#include <wordexp.h> int wordexp(const char *s, wordexp_t *p, int flags); void wordfree(wordexp_t *p); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): wordexp(), wordfree(): _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The function wordexp() performs a shell-like expansion of the string s and returns the result in the structure pointed to by p. The data type wordexp_t is a structure that at least has the fields we_wordc, we_wordv, and we_offs. The field we_wordc is a size_t that gives the number of words in the expansion of s. The field we_wordv is a char ** that points to the array of words found. The field we_offs of type size_t is sometimes (depending on flags, see below) used to indicate the number of initial elements in the we_wordv array that should be filled with NULLs. The function wordfree() frees the allocated memory again. More precisely, it does not free its argument, but it frees the array we_wordv and the strings that points to. The string argument Since the expansion is the same as the expansion by the shell (see sh(1)) of the parameters to a command, the string s must not contain characters that would be illegal in shell command parameters. In particular, there must not be any unescaped newline or |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, } characters outside a command substitution or parameter substitution context. If the argument s contains a word that starts with an unquoted comment character #, then it is unspecified whether that word and all fol- lowing words are ignored, or the # is treated as a non-comment character. The expansion The expansion done consists of the following stages: tilde expansion (replacing ~user by user's home directory), variable substitution (replacing $FOO by the value of the environment variable FOO), command substitution (replacing $(command) or `command` by the output of command), arithmetic expansion, field splitting, wildcard expansion, quote removal. The result of expansion of special parameters ($@, $*, $#, $?, $-, $$, $!, $0) is unspecified. Field splitting is done using the environment variable $IFS. If it is not set, the field separators are space, tab and newline. The output array The array we_wordv contains the words found, followed by a NULL. The flags argument The flag argument is a bitwise inclusive OR of the following values: WRDE_APPEND Append the words found to the array resulting from a previous call. WRDE_DOOFFS Insert we_offs initial NULLs in the array we_wordv. (These are not counted in the returned we_wordc.) WRDE_NOCMD Don't do command substitution. WRDE_REUSE The argument p resulted from a previous call to wordexp(), and wordfree() was not called. Reuse the allocated storage. WRDE_SHOWERR Normally during command substitution stderr is redirected to /dev/null. This flag specifies that stderr is not to be redirected. WRDE_UNDEF Consider it an error if an undefined shell variable is expanded. RETURN VALUE
In case of success 0 is returned. In case of error one of the following five values is returned. WRDE_BADCHAR Illegal occurrence of newline or one of |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, }. WRDE_BADVAL An undefined shell variable was referenced, and the WRDE_UNDEF flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_CMDSUB Command substitution occurred, and the WRDE_NOCMD flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_NOSPACE Out of memory. WRDE_SYNTAX Shell syntax error, such as unbalanced parentheses or unmatched quotes. VERSIONS
wordexp() and wordfree() are provided in glibc since version 2.1. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. EXAMPLE
The output of the following example program is approximately that of "ls [a-c]*.c". #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <wordexp.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { wordexp_t p; char **w; int i; wordexp("[a-c]*.c", &p, 0); w = p.we_wordv; for (i = 0; i < p.we_wordc; i++) printf("%s ", w[i]); wordfree(&p); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), glob(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2008-07-14 WORDEXP(3)