Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Best Compression technique ?
Operating Systems Linux Best Compression technique ? Post 302785735 by selvarajvss on Tuesday 26th of March 2013 09:37:54 AM
Old 03-26-2013
RE:

Hi fpmurphy,

Its for my C++ application.

Thanks for your reply..!!!

./Selva.,

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Technique's???

Is there any better way of doing this? I only want to find a status of a diff, ie diff the file and return to me whether it is different or not or non-existant. This example works, however I think it could be less messier: workd=`pwd`;find $workd -name "*.sum" | while read line ; do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FORK/EXEC technique

Hi! Can someone explain me exactly this technique? Why a process (PARENT) creates a copy of itself with FORK (CHILD)? What's the reason of this behaviour? Sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind it. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid CR after compression

Hi all, I am having few files which needs to be concted into a single file and then it is compressed and FTPed from the UNIX server to the Windows server. For the above purpose i am using gzip command to compress the files after concetenation. And i am FTP ing the compressed file in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best search technique

I have a snippet file with the shown below: data file 1 2 1 3 1 3 4 2 3 2 2 1 2 2 5 1 3 2 3 2 2 3 1 4 Actual file has approx 50 Millions such lines with bigger number (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
9 Replies

5. AIX

Tape compression

Hello everyone I want to use compression in my tape when I backup some file. For example I have several files that use 50gb. If I backup this I need to use two cartridge because without compression I can backup 36gb. My question is with flag I need to use to compress and I can use 72gb in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder compression

Hi Guys, totally new to scripting. I have a huge list of foleders. I want to tar the contents of each folder inside the same folder and the name of the tar file is the same name as the folder. how would I go about this in scirpt? cheers Viper (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownviper1966
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file compression

I'am looking for script (or tool) that would compress all files with given extension in all subdirectory. Important part is that every one file have to end in separate archive whit it's own name. Eaven if I could point multiple file in one directory and compress them it would be ok. I' am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demerzel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password Obscuring Technique

Hi, We have a unix shell script which tries login to database. The user name and password to connect to database is stored in a file connection.sql. Now connection.sql has contents def ora_user =&1 CONNECT A_PROXY/abc123@DEV01 When on UNIX server we connect to database and set spool on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
7 Replies
ZLIB(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   ZLIB(3)

NAME
zlib - compression/decompression library SYNOPSIS
[see zlib.h for full description] DESCRIPTION
The zlib library is a general purpose data compression library. The code is thread safe. It provides in-memory compression and decompres- sion functions, including integrity checks of the uncompressed data. This version of the library supports only one compression method (deflation) but other algorithms will be added later and will have the same stream interface. Compression can be done in a single step if the buffers are large enough (for example if an input file is mmap'ed), or can be done by repeated calls of the compression function. In the latter case, the application must provide more input and/or consume the output (provid- ing more output space) before each call. The library also supports reading and writing files in gzip (.gz) format with an interface similar to that of stdio. The library does not install any signal handler. The decoder checks the consistency of the compressed data, so the library should never crash even in case of corrupted input. All functions of the compression library are documented in the file zlib.h. The distribution source includes examples of use of the library the files example.c and minigzip.c. A Java implementation of zlib is available in the Java Development Kit 1.1 http://www.javasoft.com/products/JDK/1.1/docs/api/Package-java.util.zip.html A Perl interface to zlib, written by Paul Marquess (pmarquess@bfsec.bt.co.uk) is available at CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) sites, such as: ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/pub/perl/CPAN/modules/by-module/Compress/Compress-Zlib* A Python interface to zlib written by A.M. Kuchling <amk@magnet.com> is available from the Python Software Association sites, such as: ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/contrib/Encoding/zlib*.tar.gz SEE ALSO
Questions about zlib should be sent to: zlib@quest.jpl.nasa.gov or, if this fails, to the author addresses given below. The zlib home page is: http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/ The data format used by the zlib library is described by RFC (Request for Comments) 1950 to 1952 in the files: ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1950.txt (zlib format) rfc1951.txt (deflate format) rfc1952.txt (gzip format) These documents are also available in other formats from: ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/documents/zlib/zdoc-index.html AUTHORS
Version 1.1.4 Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jean-loup Gailly (jloup@gzip.org) and Mark Adler (madler@alumni.caltech.edu). This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. See the distribution directory with respect to requirements governing redistribution. The deflate format used by zlib was defined by Phil Katz. The deflate and zlib specifications were written by L. Peter Deutsch. Thanks to all the people who reported problems and suggested various improvements in zlib; who are too numerous to cite here. UNIX manual page by R. P. C. Rodgers, U.S. National Library of Medicine (rodgers@nlm.nih.gov). 11 March 2002 ZLIB(3)