Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pulling out entries from file based on IP - awk Post 302785103 by SkySmart on Sunday 24th of March 2013 07:59:16 PM
Old 03-24-2013
Pulling out entries from file based on IP - awk

i have several lines in a file that looks like this:

Code:
2013-03-23 19:02:33,122 DiscoverManager [Discover-15] WeblogicApplication-10.111.112.119-7400 FAILURE

i'm monitoring this file for strings that contain FAILURE. but i've been getting a lot of alerts that just aren't actionable. so i need another way around this.

each line has an IP and a port number, which is what i bolded above. i'm wondering, is there a way to do something like this:
  • if 10 or more entries for any specific IP are found in the log, AND each of the entry is for different port numbers, then alert?

my problem is, there isn't a list of known IPs or ports. any IP can be thrown in the file. so i'm curious if what i'm thinking is possible? i'm guessing awk can be used for this?

i was using a variation of this command to get a count:

Code:
awk '/FAILURE/ && /FAILURE/ {++c}c>=10 -1{o=$0 RS $0 RS $0; print o; c=0}' file

and i was using this to show me the actual offending lines from the file:

Code:
awk '/FAILURE/ && /FAILURE/' file

Last edited by SkySmart; 03-25-2013 at 07:32 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pulling out fields from a file

Hi, I have a file that contains 1400 lines similar to the one shown below: NAME=sara, TOWN=southampton, POSTCODE=SO18777, EMAIL=sara@hotmail.com, PASSWORD=asjdflkjds etc etc (note: this is one line). Each line has the same fields, but on each line they are in a different order. Eg. the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pulling the following line from a file

I have return files from a process that has then original input record followed on the next line by a response record..either AA,........... for accepted or EE,.......... for errored. i.e 11,new,123 AA,accepted 12,exist,443 EE,rejected 13,old,223 AA,accepted I want to write a small... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pulling a column from a file in ksh

I would like to pull a column from a file and place it in a variable: The file would look like this: N.Korea gibberish garbage S.Korea gibberish garbage USA gibberish garbage Iraq gibberish garbage Canada gibberish garbage and items in the first... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling data and following lines from file

I saw a few posts close to what i want to do, but they didn't look like they would work exactly.. or I need to think out of the box on this. I have a file that I keep server stats in for my own performance analysis. this file has the output from many commands in it (uptime, vmstats, ps, swap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pulling a file off a backup tape

I have AIX 5.1 This may sound like a really dumb question but I have never done this before. I would like to pull a file off a backup tape and put back on the AIX is this as simple as as doing a mount /dev/rmt1 then the file name that is on the tape /dump/rpt/xxxxxx Do I just copy it... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling Ip's from log and redirecting to a file

Hi all, I am fairly new to scripting, but I do try and script as much as possible but the more advanced stuff does tend to boggle my mind a bit. I am at a bit of a loss with this one. I get entries in my DNS logs, like the below: I want to extract only the IP address, without the hashes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pulling different fields from a csv file

Hi, I have a requirment where I need to pull different columns from a .csv file. Here is the sample of the csv file. account,item,flag1,flag2,flag3,flag4,flag5,......feed,tran I will be have a config.txt file which will have the following information. item,flag5,flag10,feed,tran... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akdevula
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pulling Parms from Config File

Hello all, I'm working on a general script for something at work. I'm an up-and-comer backup for a Shell Scripter this company has had for 35 years lol. Anyway, I have a config file I'm trying to pull Variables from as the Config File is used for multiple scripts. Does the below make sense and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling Data, Then Moving to the Next File

I'm scanning a list of emails- I need to pull 2 pieces of data, then move to the next file: Sender's Email Address Email Date I need these to be outputted into a single column- separated by a ",". Like this: Email1's Address, Email1's Date Stamp Email2's Address, Email2's Date Stamp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial file pulling

I am connecting to another server through sftp. I am running one batch script to pull file from another server. sometimes i am receiving partial files. I am using below commands in batch script. ls -ltr new.txt mget new.txt bye The file is of 1 MB only.In most of the cases , i received... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinath01
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)