Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Should I say "field 8" or "column 8" in this case? Post 302784433 by jim mcnamara on Friday 22nd of March 2013 07:43:52 AM
Old 03-22-2013
Good points, all.

I view fields as objects that are horizontally delimited and not in a fixed position, like drl.
I remember fields from FORTRAN and some versions of BASIC. Now the main driver seems to be portability of data files from UNIX into Excel.

UNIX uses field separators:
sort has a notion of fields delimited by -t [character].
from man sort for GNU sort
Code:
-t, --field-separator=SEP

awk has had FS from its inception.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting comma "," for dot "." in a specific column when comma"," is a delimiter

Hi, I'm dealing with an issue and losing a lot of hours figuring out how i would solve this. I have an input file which looks like this: ('BLABLA +200-GRS','Serviço ','TarifaçãoServiço','wap.bla.us.0000000121',2985,0,55,' de conversão em escada','Dia','Domingos') ('BLABLA +200-GRR','Serviço... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk,sed : change every 2nd field ":" to "|"

Hi Experts, I have a string with colon delimited, want 2nd colon to be changed to a pipe. data: 101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3: I am trying with sed, but can change only 1 occurance: echo "101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3:" | sed 's/:/|/2'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
MSQL_RESULT(3)															    MSQL_RESULT(3)

msql_result - Get result data

SYNOPSIS
string msql_result (resource $result, int $row, [mixed $field]) DESCRIPTION
msql_result(3) returns the contents of one cell from a mSQL result set. When working on large result sets, you should consider using one of the functions that fetch an entire row (specified below). As these functions return the contents of multiple cells in one function call, they are often much quicker than msql_result(3). Recommended high-performance alternatives: msql_fetch_row(3), msql_fetch_array(3), and msql_fetch_object(3). PARAMETERS
o $ result -The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to msql_query(3). o $row - The row offset. o $field - Can be the field's offset, or the field's name, or the field's table dot field's name (tablename.fieldname.). If the column name has been aliased ('select foo as bar from ...'), use the alias instead of the column name. Note Specifying a numeric field offset is much quicker than specifying a fieldname or tablename.fieldname. RETURN VALUES
Returns the contents of the cell at the row and offset in the specified mSQL result set. PHP Documentation Group MSQL_RESULT(3)