Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How To Use sed To Remove Text Between '/*'? Post 302783677 by Yoda on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 08:12:17 PM
Old 03-20-2013
Code:
/\*[^*]*\*/

/ - Begin search pattern

\* - Starts with asterisks * ( It is escaped \* because meta-character)

[^*] - Followed by any character other than ^ asterisks * (It not escaped because meta-characters loose there special meaning inside [ ])

* - Zero or more occurrences

\* - Followed by asterisks *

/ - End search pattern
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from a csv file using sed

I am trying to remove the ita from this file: "1234ita","john","smith" "56789ita","jim","thomas" the command i am using is: sed '/^ita/d' infile.csv > outfile.csv it is running but doing nothing, very rarely use sed so trying to learn it any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove 1st two characters every line of text file

what is the sed command to remove the first two characters of every line of a text file? each line of the text file has the same amount of characters, and they are ALL NUMERIC. there are hundreds of lines though. for example, >cat file1.txt 10081551 10081599 10082234 10082259 20081134... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text with sed or anything?

Hi there, my first post, so you might find my noobness ;) I need help to fix a thing, find /mnt/fs01/gfx/ -iname "*.rar" > gfx.txt Gives this contained textfile: /mnt/fs01/gfx/toba/toba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/zeta/zimba.rar /mnt/fs01/gfx/brashe/getha.rar And now the tricky part (for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabbah
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bracket including text inside with sed

Hello, I could not remove brackets with text contents myfile: Please remove the bracket with text I wish to remove: I tried: sed 's/\//' myfile It gives: Please remove the bracket with text A1 I expect: Please remove the bracket with text Many thanks Boris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)