Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML parsing by UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users XML parsing by UNIX Post 302783635 by DGPickett on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 05:48:31 PM
Old 03-20-2013
It sounds like you want to just ignore lines that do not have those tags. If the data conveniently has line feeds after every close or all element tag and not after any interesting open element tags, just egrep for those tags. It's not xml, just text filtering. You can use sed, awk or perl to adjust the lines if they do not ffit that mold and the line feeds are not real data. PERL, C++ and JAVA can parse xml, and probably that other p named script language I keep blocking on. XPATH XQUERY sorts of queries rely on real xml parsing.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

XML parsing

Hi I want to take an XML file and transform it into a pipe-delimited format. What is the best tool to use for this? I have libxml2 which seems to be the best xml parser around. The xml file will have the following format. <Txn> <Date>120504</Date> <id>99</id> <Items> <Item>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handak9
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing

Hi, Need a script to parse the following xml file content <tag1 Name="val1"> <abc Name="key"/> <abc Name="pass">*********</abc> </tag1> <tag2 Name="Core"> <Host Name="a.b.c"> <tag1 Name="abc"> <abc Name="ac">None</abc> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mavericc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix XML Parsing check well formed

Hi, I am using ksh, is there any command which can check whether the XML file is well formed or not? Regards, Sreejit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

Learned People, Hello ! Till today, for the most part, all of the tricky questions/situations that I encountered were already posted by other folks and all I had to do was peruse through these one at a time and I could find some sort of an answer and all I had to do was add some minor tweaks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XML Parsing

I had a big XML and from which I have to make a layout as below *TOTAL+CB | *CB+FX | CS |*IR | *TOTAL | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |CB FX | | | | DMFXNY EMSGFX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

I am trying to parse an xml file and trying to grab certain values and inserting them into database table. I have the following xml that I am parsing: <dd:service name="locator" link="false"> <dd:activation mode="manual" /> <dd:run mode="direct_persistent" proxified="false" managed="true"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: $criptKid617
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

i have xml output in below format... <AlertsResponse> <Alert id="11216" name="fgdfg"> <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356521629778" user="admin" detail="Recovery Alert"/> </Alert> <Alert id="11215" name="gdfg <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356430119840" user=""... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing :

HI I want to parse below file in to two output :- Input :- ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <bulkCmConfigDataFile xmlns:un="utranNrm.xsd" <configData dnPrefix="Undefined"> <xn:SubNetwork id="ONRM_ROOT_MO_R"> <xn:MeContext id="C136"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

I have an xml file where the format looks like below <SESSIONCOMPONENT REFOBJECTNAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Pre-session command"> <TASK DESCRIPTION ="" NAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Command" VERSIONNUMBER ="1"> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
8 Replies
Parser::Style::Stream(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Parser::Style::Stream(3)

NAME
XML::Parser::Style::Stream - Stream style for XML::Parser SYNOPSIS
use XML::Parser; my $p = XML::Parser->new(Style => 'Stream', Pkg => 'MySubs'); $p->parsefile('foo.xml'); { package MySubs; sub StartTag { my ($e, $name) = @_; # do something with start tags } sub EndTag { my ($e, $name) = @_; # do something with end tags } sub Characters { my ($e, $data) = @_; # do something with text nodes } } DESCRIPTION
This style uses the Pkg option to find subs in a given package to call for each event. If none of the subs that this style looks for is there, then the effect of parsing with this style is to print a canonical copy of the document without comments or declarations. All the subs receive as their 1st parameter the Expat instance for the document they're parsing. It looks for the following routines: o StartDocument Called at the start of the parse . o StartTag Called for every start tag with a second parameter of the element type. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the tag and the %_ variable will contain attribute values supplied for that element. o EndTag Called for every end tag with a second parameter of the element type. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the end tag. o Text Called just before start or end tags with accumulated non-markup text in the $_ variable. o PI Called for processing instructions. The $_ variable will contain a copy of the PI and the target and data are sent as 2nd and 3rd parameters respectively. o EndDocument Called at conclusion of the parse. perl v5.18.2 2011-05-24 Parser::Style::Stream(3)