Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML parsing by UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users XML parsing by UNIX Post 302783613 by Michael Stora on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 05:20:21 PM
Old 03-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam guha
Hi,
I am new in shell scripting. i want to extract tag values in xml files by using shell script. my files like this:
<cw: properties>
<cw:std_properties>
<tns: properties>
<tns:name>AdminOutQueue</tns:name>
<tns:type>String</tns:type>
<tns:subtype>QueueName</tns:subtype>
<tns:value xml:space="preserve">WBIA.SMRPSC1.ADOUTQ</tns:value>
<tns:description>The logical queue that will be used by the connector to write admin messages to the broker</tns:description>
<tns:updateMethod>component restart</tns:updateMethod>
<tns:location>
<tns:reposController>false</tns:reposController>
<tns:reposAgent>true</tns:reposAgent>
<tns:localConfig>true</tns:localConfig>
</tns:location>
<tns:isEncrypted>false</tns:isEncrypted>
</tns: properties>
<tns: properties>
<tns:name>AgentTraceLevel</tns:name>
<tns:type>Integer</tns:type>
<tns:subtype />
<tns:value xml:space="preserve">5</tns:value>
<tns:description>Trace level for the connector agent</tns:description>
<tns:updateMethod>component restart</tns:updateMethod>
<tns:location>
<tns:reposController>false</tns:reposController>
<tns:reposAgent>true</tns:reposAgent>
<tns:localConfig>true</tns:localConfig>
</tns:location>
<tns:isEncrypted>false</tns:isEncrypted>
</tns: properties>

</cw: properties>
</cw:std_properties>

i want to extract AdminOutQueue or AgentTraceLevel property value like tns:value for both.
how can i do that?please help.
Thanks in advance

regards,
Arindam
Grep will get the whole line.
Code:
line=$(grep *AdminOutQueue* file_name)

In Bash ${string#substring} removes substring from the front of string and
${string%substring} from the end
Code:
name="${"${"$line"#"<tns:name>AdminOutQueue</tns:"}"%">"}"

Mike

PS: in the future, start a new thread for a new subject.
PPS. Nesting expansions rarely works, the example above may not work, you may need an intermediate variable.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment This post moved from other thread to here

edit: nesting substitutions like I did above does not work, you need to trim the beginning and end seperately.

Last edited by Michael Stora; 04-07-2013 at 01:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

XML parsing

Hi I want to take an XML file and transform it into a pipe-delimited format. What is the best tool to use for this? I have libxml2 which seems to be the best xml parser around. The xml file will have the following format. <Txn> <Date>120504</Date> <id>99</id> <Items> <Item>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: handak9
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing

Hi, Need a script to parse the following xml file content <tag1 Name="val1"> <abc Name="key"/> <abc Name="pass">*********</abc> </tag1> <tag2 Name="Core"> <Host Name="a.b.c"> <tag1 Name="abc"> <abc Name="ac">None</abc> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mavericc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix XML Parsing check well formed

Hi, I am using ksh, is there any command which can check whether the XML file is well formed or not? Regards, Sreejit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

Learned People, Hello ! Till today, for the most part, all of the tricky questions/situations that I encountered were already posted by other folks and all I had to do was peruse through these one at a time and I could find some sort of an answer and all I had to do was add some minor tweaks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XML Parsing

I had a big XML and from which I have to make a layout as below *TOTAL+CB | *CB+FX | CS |*IR | *TOTAL | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |CB FX | | | | DMFXNY EMSGFX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML

I am trying to parse an xml file and trying to grab certain values and inserting them into database table. I have the following xml that I am parsing: <dd:service name="locator" link="false"> <dd:activation mode="manual" /> <dd:run mode="direct_persistent" proxified="false" managed="true"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: $criptKid617
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

i have xml output in below format... <AlertsResponse> <Alert id="11216" name="fgdfg"> <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356521629778" user="admin" detail="Recovery Alert"/> </Alert> <Alert id="11215" name="gdfg <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356430119840" user=""... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing :

HI I want to parse below file in to two output :- Input :- ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <bulkCmConfigDataFile xmlns:un="utranNrm.xsd" <configData dnPrefix="Undefined"> <xn:SubNetwork id="ONRM_ROOT_MO_R"> <xn:MeContext id="C136"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

I have an xml file where the format looks like below <SESSIONCOMPONENT REFOBJECTNAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Pre-session command"> <TASK DESCRIPTION ="" NAME ="pre_session_command" REUSABLE ="NO" TYPE ="Command" VERSIONNUMBER ="1"> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
8 Replies