Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l" Post 302783541 by DGPickett on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 03:26:56 PM
Old 03-20-2013
You can do them in one pass per host, since it is all text, if you:
Code:
expect -c "
spawn ssh -t username@$i 'echo "'"'"cat >$i.rc.local
 <<magic_eof"'"'"
cat /etc/rc.local
echo magic_eof
echo "'"'"cat >$i.crontab <<magic_eof"'"'"
crontab -l -u root
echo magic_eof
echo "'"'"cat >$i.disk.status< <magic_eof"'"'"
df -h
echo magic_eof
' | bash
"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script as a login shell return "no controlling terminal"

I have created a ksh shell script and used it as a login shell for a user. </etc/passwd> lramirev:x:111:200:Luis:/export/home/menush:/usr/local/menush/menush My shell script is like this: </usr/local/menush/menush> #!/bin/ksh # if ] then . $HOME/.profile fi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -n1 -r -p "Press..." key / produces error in bash shell script

Hello! Sorry, for my not so perfect english! I want to stop bash shell script execution until any key is pressed. This line in a bash shell script read -n1 -r -p "Press any key to continue..." key produces this error When I run this from the command line usera@lynx:~$ read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote script skips "read" command

This script is supposed to display a file ( crontab ), ask the user if they wish to update the file, then it goes through an update routine. #!/bin/bash FILE=/etc/crontab tail -5 $FILE echo -n "Does crontab need updating" read HOURS ...routines ....etc... Runs locally... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh through "expect" in shell script

Hi, I am trying to use "Expect" in shell script to ssh and do some work in remote server but I am unable to connect. Here is the code I am using. #save as test.sh set ip "10.10.10.10" set username "uname" set password "upass" spawn ssh $username@$ip expect "Password:" send... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)