Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file Post 302783287 by pamu on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 08:03:12 AM
Old 03-20-2013
Try
Code:
while read a b c
do
print b c
done<file > out

or..

Code:
nawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{sub($1FS,"")}1' input_file.txt

Last edited by pamu; 03-20-2013 at 09:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first column in tab-delimited text-file

I have a large text-file with tab-delimited genetic data that looks like: KSC112 KSC234 0 0 1 1 A G C T I simply wan to delete the first column, but since the file has 600 000 columns, it is not possible with awk (seems to be limited at 32k columns). Does anyone have an idea how to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a new column to a tab delimited text file

I want to add a new column to a tab delimited text file. It will be the first column and it will just be 1's. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed on 1st column of tab delimited file

Hi all, I'm new to Unix and work primarily in bioinformatics. I am in need of a script which will allow me to replace "1" with "chr1" in only the first column of a file which looks like such: 1 10327 rs112750067 T C . PASS ASP;RSPOS=10327;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hkins552
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract second column tab delimited file

I have a file which looks like this: 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 1 http://www.usnews.com 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30 16:22:40 2 http://www.apa.org 73450 articles and news developmental psychology 2006-03-30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add (append) a column in a tab delimited file

I have a file having the following entries: test1 test2 test3 11 22 33 22 44 66 99 99 44 --- I want to add a column so that the above file becomes: test1 test2 test3 notest 11 22 33 * 22 44 66 * 99 99 44 * --- Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse tab delimited file, check condition and delete row

I am fairly new to programming and trying to resolve this problem. I have the file like this. CHROM POS REF ALT 10_sample.bam 11_sample.bam 12_sample.bam 13_sample.bam 14_sample.bam 15_sample.bam 16_sample.bam tg93 77 T C T T T T T tg93 79 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a 3 column tab delimited file to a matrix

Hi all, I have a 3 columns input file like this: CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-4943 1 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID123 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID126 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-5763 0.5 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID13 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6163 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6164 0.04... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)