Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk problem - combining awk statements Post 302782887 by alister on Tuesday 19th of March 2013 02:15:57 PM
Old 03-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I can fill things out in more detail if you explain what this does, I'm unfamiliar with this syntax:
Code:
${AWK} "/${MONTH} ${DAY} ${TIMEH}:.*:.*/,0"

From awk
Quote:
A Boolean context shall be one of the following:
An expression used as a pattern (as in Overall Program Structure)
A pattern range consists of two expressions separated by a comma; in this case, the action shall be performed for all records between a match of the first expression and the following match of the second expression, inclusive. At this point, the pattern range can be repeated starting at input records subsequent to the end of the matched range.
Since the expressions are evaluated in a boolean context, the 0 will never trigger a match. So the quoted code means that once the regular expression matches, its actions will be applied to the line that matched the regexp and all subsequent lines.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compound statements

how can i use two or multiple statements in the if part of an awk code for example i want to check two flag if they are true i will write some print operations and increase the counter. here is the c version of the code that i want to write: counter=0; if (flag1==1 && flag2==0) {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help a newbie please with awk if else statements

Hi, Despite reading the Conditional Statements chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot for the life of me get any kind of if ... else statement to work in my awk scripts! My scripts work perfectly (as they are written at least) and do what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine awk statements

I have an awk statement that works but I am calling awk twice and I know there has to be a way to combine the two statements into one. The purpose is to pull out just the ip address from loopback1. cat config.txt | nawk 'BEGIN {FS="\n"}{RS="!"}{if ( $0 ~ "interface loopback1" ) print$4}' | nawk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining awk statements

I have a pretty simple script below: #!/bin/sh for i in *.cfg do temp=`awk '/^InputDirectory=/' ${i}` input_dir=`echo ${temp} | awk '{ print substr( $0, 16) }'` echo ${input_dir} done As you can see its opening each cfg file and searching for the line that has "InputDirectory="... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssbsts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining AWK statements

Hello UNIX Community, I have file that contains the following data: testAwk2.csv rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich hyena elephant panda dog cat pig lizard snake antelope platypus tiger cheetah lion rhino spider I then find the character length of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vnayak
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK w/ if statements failing.

I'm converting some code from ksh on my macbook (Version M 1993-12-28 s+) to an older solaris machine with ksh 88. I can't seem to figure out this line, it worked on the new shell version. set -A combo -- $(for x in ${ImageIDs}; do nawk -v s=$x 'if($2 == s) getline ; getline if ($1 ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdcurious
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine two awk statements into one

Hi, I have the following two awk statements which I'd like to consolidate into one by piping the output from the first into the second awk statement (rather than having to write kat.txt out to a file and then reading back in). awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS=" "} {printf("%s ", $2);for (x=7; x<=10;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining multiple sed statements

I need to run a cronjob that will monitor a directory for files with a certain extension, when one appears I then need to run the below scripts How do I go about combining the following sed statements into one script? and also retain the original filename.? sed 's/71502FSC1206/\n&/g' # add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested awk Statements

Hello again everyone, yes, I'm back again for more help! So I'm attempting to read two separate files and generate some XML code from that. My current code is: BEGIN { print "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\">" print "<Export>" } { x=1; print "<section name=\"Query" NR "\">"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with many if statements

Hi What is the right structure to use awk with multiple If statements The following code doesn't work # awk ' { A = $1 } END { for ( i = 1; i <= c; i++ ) { if ( A == 236 && A ==199... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaled79
7 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)