Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Backup: The lseek call failed Post 302782669 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 19th of March 2013 09:30:56 AM
Old 03-19-2013
1) AIX version is: 6100-08-00-0000 is the DVD release. You should update to a SP.
2) Get the SP files using smit suma or FixCentral, download.
3) Once you have the downloads, smitty update_all.

Lastly, why are you using backup (i.e., backup by inode) rather than backupbyfilename.
Usually backups are by filename and/or made for a whole volume group.
# savevg -i -f /dev/rmt0 vgName
or
# cd /some/directory; find . | backup -if /dev/rmt0

In your case it looks like the last option would be:
Code:
# cd /backup; find . | backup -if /dev/rmt0

Note also, if doing backup by inode - as your example - you should unmount /backup first
Example (where I write to a file, not a tape)
Code:
michael@x054:[/home/michael]umount /audit  
michael@x054:[/home/michael]backup -0 -f /data/backups/audit.backup /audit
backup: The date of this level 0 backup is Tue Mar 19 13:30:21 CUT 2013.
backup: The date of the last level 0 backup is the epoch.
backup: Backing up /dev/rhd12audit (/audit) to /data/backups/audit.backup.
backup: Mapping regular files. This is Pass 1.
backup: Mapping directories. This is Pass 2.
backup: There are an estimated 1183 1k blocks.
backup: Backing up directories. This is Pass 3.
backup: Backing up regular files. This is Pass 4.
backup: There are 1147 1k blocks on 1 volumes.
backup: The backup is complete

If you continue to have these lseek errors, file a call with IBM or your BP for support and diagnosis.
This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

lseek in c

sir, i used lssek as this lseek(fp,-10,2); i am not getting any output i dont now why can you explan sir.. Thanks in advance, Arunkumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh user failed to call library in ksh program

Hi folks, I'm trying to organize functions in my ksh program into libraries. If I run my program as any ksh user it will succeed. Only when I run my program as tcsh user (i.e oracle) I failed. Example ======= The ksh code: tornado:/tmp # cat nir.ksh #! /bin/ksh cdromPath=`pwd`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nir_s
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EOD backup failed

EOD backup failed with following error: 05/08/07 01:10:02 write /home/compdir to DATTAPE 2712860 blocks UX: cpio: HALT: Cannot read from device 1 error Failed on shell-script: cpio -ictB 2>>/home2/Rev83/misc/logs/bk.End-of-day 1>/dev/null </dev/rct0 05/08/07 2:29:14 What above output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup failed

I'm getting following message at my EOD backup script:sh: line1: /dev/rct0: cannot create What could be the possible causes for this error and how could I resolve it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
10 Replies

5. HP-UX

Backup Files Failed

I am having difficulty in doing ontape -s -L 0. At first it was giving a message Archive failed - function to write to tape failed code -l errno 5. After about 24 hours it says "could not write archive tape. What do I do? Can anyone please advise on what the problem is and what I can do? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gillonye
0 Replies

6. AIX

backup script failed with error '0403-005 Cannot create the specified file'

In AIX 5.1, a daily run script that backing up oracle data failed yesterday with following errors: The Tivoli backup of DBPROD failed. What could be the issue, OS, backup or Oracle? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System call failed with 127 .. after 500 times when called in loop

Hi Experts, I have a code like this. ===== #include.... int main() { int count = 0; while(1){ printf("\n Interation number is: %d \n ",count); rv = system(" test.sh > log.txt " ); if (-1 == rv) { printf("Could not generate static log: error... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyjeshan
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies

9. Programming

Problem with lseek call.

The following code: int fd; if (fd = open("mem", O_RDONLY) == -1) return 1; if (lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET) == -1) { char *buf = malloc(512); buf = strerror(errno); printf("%s\n", buf); return 1; } always returns with "illegal seek"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sir_Tomasz
2 Replies

10. Programming

Call failed: RPC: Can't decode result

Hello I am trying to run rpc program to query an entry from a file at the server side that is in the form of <mm> <dd> <event>. I get the proper result at the server. I have verified it by printf statements just before return statement of the result at server side. But somehow I am unable to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvikramreddy92
0 Replies
BACKUP_DELHOST(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_DELHOST(8)

NAME
       backup_delhost - Deletes a Tape Coordinator entry from the Backup Database

SYNOPSIS
       backup delhost -tapehost <tape machine name>
	   [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth]
	   [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup delh -t <tape machine name>
	   [-p <TC port offset>]
	   [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup delhost command deletes the indicated Tape Coordinator entry from the Backup Database. It is then impossible to submit backup
       operations to that Tape Coordinator, even if it is still running. To keep configuration information consistent, also remove the
       corresponding entry from the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file on the Tape Coordinator machine.

To list the Tape Coordinator machines and port offsets defined in the Backup Database, issue the backup listhosts command.

OPTIONS
       -tapehost <tape machine name>
	   Specifies the hostname of the machine housing the Tape Coordinator to delete.

-portoffset <TC port offset>
	   Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator to delete.	If omitted, it defaults to 0. If provided, it is an integer
	   between 0 (zero) and 58510, and must match the port offset number assigned to the same combination of Tape Coordinator and tape device
	   or file in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file on the Tape Coordinator machine indicated by the -tapehost argument.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

EXAMPLES
       The following command deletes the Backup Database entry for the Tape Coordinator with port offset 2 on the Tape Coordinator machine
       "backup3.abc.com":

% backup delhost -tapehost backup3.abc.com -portoffset 2

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_addhost(8), backup_listhosts(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							 BACKUP_DELHOST(8)