Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions How to lclear "expr: syntax error" eventhough everything looks fine? Post 302782269 by Durga Prasad NK on Monday 18th of March 2013 12:37:04 PM
Old 03-18-2013
Your code looks fine, I think the problem might be with data.

Check the data once in Inputt.dat. The cut command you are using might be returning a String value. So you might be facing the error with expr.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ld.so.1" error using a cron job | works fine otherwise

Hi, A cron job CJ invokes a shell script SC. SC internally invokes multiple perl scripts. One of the perl scripts deals with Accurev (i am using Accurev CLI). The first accurev command encountered is accurev merge -i <<file_name>> (file name has absolute path) When I run the perl script or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash (Ubuntu server): Syntax error: "|" unexpected in While-loop

Hello forum, I hope my problem is easy to solve for someone in here! My main task is to copy a large amount of imap-accounts from one server to another. There is a tool (Perl) called imapsync which does the job exellent. Unfortunately I'm only able to run it on one account at a time. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `"Hit <ENTER> to continue:"'

the below code will search attr string inside makefile under the modelno on given path. echo "Enter model no for searching string inside makefile" read inputs2 #find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model/$inputs2 -name "makefile" | xargs grep "attr" \; #;;I am getting below error.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Script which is causing "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Error

Hi All, Please hav a look at the below peice of script and let me know if there are any syntax errors. i found that the below peice of Script is causing issue. when i use SFTP its working fine, but there is a demand to use FTP only. please find below code and explain if anything is wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected"

While i m running below code, it is giving me the error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected". Pls let me know what is wrong here..i tried many ways, but no luck dbSID="SWQE" usrname="apps" password="Wrgthrk3" count=0 while do sqlplus $usrname/$password@$dbSID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UX: Shell Script giving " 0^J30: Syntax error"

Hi All, We are getting a very unique error while running a shell script on HP-UX box. Can somebody help in this regards? The shell script is working fine on linux/solaris box. Error: ++++++++++++++++++++++++ $/test.sh ./test.sh: 0^J30: Syntax error $ ++++++++++++++++++++++++ TIA.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vai_sh
16 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
expr(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   expr(1)

Name
       expr - evaluate expressions

Syntax
       expr arg...

Description
       The arguments are taken as an expression.  After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output.  Each token of the expression is
       a separate argument.

The operators and keywords are listed below.  The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped.

expr | expr	   Yields the first expr if it is neither null nor 0.  Otherwise yields the second expr.

expr & expr	   Yields the first expr if neither expr is null or 0.	Otherwise yields 0.

expr relop expr	   The relop is one of < <= = != >= > and yields 1 if the indicated comparison is true, '0' if false.  The  comparison	is
			   numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic.

expr + expr
	    expr - expr
			   Yields addition or subtraction of the arguments.

expr * expr
	    expr / expr
	    expr % expr
			   Yields multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments.

expr : expr	   The	matching  operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expres-
			   sion syntax is the same as that of The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the  first  argument.
			   Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched ('0' on failure).

( expr ) 	   parentheses for grouping.

Examples
       The first example adds 1 to the Shell variable a:
       a=`expr $a + 1`
       The second example finds the file name part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a,
       expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a
       Note the quoted Shell metacharacters.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the following exit codes:

0    The expression is neither null nor '0'.

1    The expression is null or '0'.

2    The expression is invalid.

See Also
       ed(1), sh(1), test(1)

expr(1)