Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why is it?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Why is it? Post 302782043 by wisecracker on Monday 18th of March 2013 07:54:25 AM
Old 03-18-2013
Why is it?

Hi all...

<semi-rant>

I am an amateur coder, (and it probably shows ;o), and find that the Internet ether is a wonderful thing.

I very rarely ask for help for any coding on any platform and will try and solve a problem by approaching it with a bit of lateral thinking.

I will search the WWW and forums like this for ideas to help me...

Why is it that people still ask the same type of questions and never try and solve it for themselves, especially if these people are supposedly professionals...

the odds are that the problem these people are facing has/have already been solved almost to their needs and with a little perseverance with experimenting they would solve things for themselves.

LBNL, if they HAVE solved a problem why not give yhose solutions to sites like this for the greater good?

</semi-rant>

Maybe it is just me...

Bazza...

ppmquantall(1)                                                General Commands Manual                                               ppmquantall(1)

NAME
ppmquantall - run ppmquant on a bunch of files all at once, so they share a common colormap SYNOPSIS
ppmquantall [-ext extension] ncolors ppmfile ... DESCRIPTION
Takes a bunch of portable pixmap as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent all of the images, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and overwrites the input files with the new quantized versions. If you don't want to overwrite your input files, use the -ext option. The output files are then named the same as the input files, plus a period and the extension text you specify. Verbose explanation: Let's say you've got a dozen pixmaps that you want to display on the screen all at the same time. Your screen can only display 256 different colors, but the pixmaps have a total of a thousand or so different colors. For a single pixmap you solve this problem with ppmquant; this script solves it for multiple pixmaps. All it does is concatenate them together into one big pixmap, run ppmquant on that, and then split it up into little pixmaps again. (Note that another way to solve this problem is to pre-select a set of colors and then use ppmquant's -map option to separately quantize each pixmap to that set.) SEE ALSO
ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 27 July 1990 ppmquantall(1)