Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 9 - Unable to ping a particular server, traceroute also displays * * * Post 302781965 by Sanjay255 on Monday 18th of March 2013 06:41:29 AM
Old 03-18-2013
Oracle Solaris 9 - Unable to ping a particular server, traceroute also displays * * *

Hi All,

I am new to solaris environment and we are using Solaris 9

The problem is am unable to ping a particular server from from one of the solaris server

The traceroute also shows only * * * for all the 30 hops

I tried to check all the settings like
1) /etc/hosts -> contains the exact ip of the server to which am trying to ping
2) /etc/resolv.conf -. has the proper DNS
3) /etc/defaultrouter -> has the correct default router assigned
4) No firewall is set

Am able to ping other servers, but only unable to ping/ftp/telnet one and which is very important and necessary for me

Kindly guide me how to resolve the issue

Please let me know if more information is required on this

Thanks in advance for all your valuable suggestion and help

Regards,
Sanjay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping/traceroute setuid programs

This may be a dumb question, but I've been wondering why programs such as ping and traceroute must be setuid? Are there some restrictions which prevent normal users from accessing the world via sockets? $ pwd /bin $ ls -l ping traceroute -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 35616 Apr 7 2005 ping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to ping server

hi, I setup a Solaris machine in my server room and my client cannot access it. Can anyone advise? Test that i have done: -My client pc cannot ping the server. -My solaris server cannot ping client -My solaris server can ping it's gateway -Another NT machine 1 (10.179.30.26) in the server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skiturn
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

unable to ping to my server

hi, I setup a Solaris machine in my server room and my client cannot access it. Can anyone advise? Test that i have done: -My client pc cannot ping the server. -My solaris server cannot ping client -My solaris server can ping it's gateway -Another NT machine 1 (10.179.30.26) in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skiturn
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in PING and traceroute command

i cannot find a usefull ping and traceroute command from TCP to another TCP server with port. I usually do only traceroute IP and ping IP..is that enough? I wanted to check its connectivity to an IP address with port.. example: from ip 1.1.1.1 (TCP port 1234) destination 2.2.2.2 (TCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to ping New server

Hi ALL, I Have installed NEW v240 server through hyper terminal, After installation i unable to ping the server from out side server... i can see no entry in resolve.conf file.. but the server has DNS.. willl that issue.. please guide me ping the server from outside within the same network bk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to ping Solaris VM from Xp host

Hi All, I am using Vmware Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004. Guest OS: Solaris 10 Host OS : Win XP I am getting request time out when i am trying to ping from XP ( cmd line) to Solaris VM - I have assigned IP 192.168.50.5 in Solaris VM ( Hostname: Tower1) and it is in UP status. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows vista unable to ping to Solaris 10 on VM

Hi all, I have a VM on Solaris 10 setup on a windows vista host machine. 1) Vista host i configure VMnet 1: 10.1.1.10 Mask : 255.255.255.0 Subnet : 10.1.1.2 DNS : 10.1.1.100 2) Solaris on VM Network device is on Custom(VMNET1) IP : 10.1.1.4 Mask : 255.255.255.0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuveZzZ
8 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to ping Solaris from several Windows installations

Hello All, I have searched and searched, but I am not finding any answers. Any help would be very welcome. I have a home LAN centered around an Untangle gateway (up to date). I have a Windows 7 PC and a Snow Leopard Mac I also have two virtualized instances of windows (xp and 7) running... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toadtilley
1 Replies

10. Solaris

able to ping all hosts but not able to traceroute any host

i am using solaris 10 and i am able to ping all the hosts but i am not able to traceroute any of them. how to fix this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies
nisping(1M)															       nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)