Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Switching between Windows and UNIX Post 302781617 by Showdown on Sunday 17th of March 2013 09:25:39 AM
Old 03-17-2013
Download this one

download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.10/VirtualBox-4.2.10-84105-Win.exe

And I asked for whether its a 32 bit or 64 bit processor. which u can see by rt clicking --> Properties on my computer in Windows.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Kernel Switching?

How do I go about switching from one Kernel to another? I figure the process is somewhat like "compile -> remove old boot reference -> add new boot reference -> reboot/restart kernel"... but honestly I have no idea how to do this... I'm trying to test out a piece of software, but it only runs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Switching from dial-up to DSL on Windows

I have been using dial up for my internet connection for the past 6 months on Windows. Before that, I used DSL. Now, I am trying to switch back to DSL but I can't connect to internet on my Windows. there is no problem, I am sure, on the DSL connection, since I have dual-boot Linux installed and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies

4. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between users on UNIX without private key (intentional)

Hello Everyone, I'm new to unix and having trouble with switching users s_user='sample_user', I need to connect to a remote server using the user "sampleuser" copy files on that remote server. However I am not allowed to add a private key to that same server nor add scripts on sampleuser's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AmazingTyagoman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching server in UNIX via shell script (SSH )

Requirement: I am writing a shell script which take some file from say Server1 and I have to execute some command on Server2 then I have to manipulate the data and based on that I have to produce report. Problem:I can schedule the shell script on only one server (Server1 or Server2) So, In the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raks2301
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies
shutdown(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       shutdown(8)

Name
       shutdown - close down the system at a given time

Syntax
       /etc/shutdown [ -k ] [ -r ] [ -h ] [ -o ] time [ warning-message ... ]

Description
       The command provides an automated shutdown procedure that a superuser can use to notify users when the system is shutting down.

The  time is the time at which will bring the system down.  It may be the word `now', indicating an immediate shutdown, or specify a future
       time in one of two formats: + number or hour : min.  The first form brings the system down in number minutes.  The second brings the system
       down at the time of day indicated, using a 24-hour clock format.

At intervals which get shorter as shutdown nears, warning messages are displayed at the terminals of all users on the system.  Warning mes-
       sages are also sent to users who are logged in to a remote system that has mounted a file system or directory from the local  system  using
       NFS.   Five  minutes  before  shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is timed for less than five minutes, logins are disabled by creating and
       writing a message there.  If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, prints its contents and exits.   The  file  is  removed  just
       before exits.

At  shutdown  time, a message is written in the file This message contains the time of shutdown, who ran shutdown, and the reason.  Then, a
       terminate signal is sent at to bring the system to single-user state.

If the or options are used, then executes or avoids shutting the system down (respectively).  The option is for use by only.  It  indicates
       to that it is being called by and not to return to the user.

You should place the time of the shutdown and the warning message in Use the message to inform the users about when the system will be back
       up and why it is going down.

Restrictions
       You can kill the system only between now and 23:59, if you use the absolute time for shutdown.

Files
       Tells login not to let anyone log in

Log file for successful shutdowns

See Also
       login(1), wall(1), halt(8), opser(8), reboot(8), rwalld(8c)

shutdown(8)