Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with xargs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with xargs Post 302781227 by axiopisty on Friday 15th of March 2013 05:57:20 PM
Old 03-15-2013
Quote:
Apparently catalina has its port as string 2 here, but most things won't.
I don't think this is specific to catalina. In my example, catalina was just an example of a program I was searching for. the output is actually coming from ps -aux. So, it looks like it would always be column 2 unless ps was configured to reorder the columns.

Quote:
Also, whenever you're doing grep | grep | awk | kitchen | sink, you should just replace it all with one simple awk command.
I'm also a newbie with awk. In my original post I mentioned that I would also like to have "catalina" be a parameter that I could pass into the script. If I wanted to do this search for some other application, say httpd for example, would there be an easy way to pass that in as a parameter to the script? I was thinking that using the form of
Code:
grep $1 |grep -v grep

would make it easier to replace the parameter, "catalina" in this example, with a parameter passed into the script rather than having to make the script wrap [] around the first character of $1.

What would the appropriate awk command be to search for the passed in parameter "$1" instead of searching for "/[c]atalina/" if I don't use the grep | grep -v form?

Also, is there a way to do this with xargs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with xargs

Hi there, I am trying to move around 3000 files from one directory to another. The mv command is complaining from too many arguments. I tried to use the xargs command but with no luck. Could some body provide help? Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why we use xargs..

hi , can anyone help me by saying why we use xargs.. is it acing like a place holder..? thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xargs -P

I discovered that GNU's xargs has a -P option to allow its processes to run in parallel. Great! Is this a GNU thing, or is it supported by other platforms as well? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs

hi i just want to know that how do we use xargs command to find files which are greater than specified memory in a given directory (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in using xargs

Hi, I have a requirement to RCP the files from remote server to local server. Also the RCP has to run in parallel. However using 'xargs' retrives 2 file names during each loop. How do we restrict to only one file name using xargs and loop till remaining files. I use the below code for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs and

Hello there, Let me show you a simple example of what I am trying to achieve: 1) I have an input text file with some lines: 1 a 2 b 3 c 2) And I want to run a command with these lines as arguments (+ arbitrary extra arguments). For example: $ command "1 a" "2 b" "3 c" "bye" I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokland
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

Dear all , any suggest on xargs to combine from (1.txt and 2.txt) to output.txt ? thanks a lot. 1.txt 0123 BUM-5M BUM-5M 93490481 63839 0124 BUM-5M BUM-5M 112112 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs

Hello, I need some help with xargs $ ls aaa bbb ccc ddd$ ls | xargs -I{} ls -la {} -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 aaa -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 bbb -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 ccc -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 dddit's possible to have output like this with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xargs

Hi, can anyone tell me in detail ? what the following do in detail ? I am trying to get a largest number in a list Thanks Tao LARGEST=$(echo $* | xargs -n1 | sort -nr | tail -1) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)