Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: conversion of matrix formats Post 302780753 by dietmar13 on Friday 15th of March 2013 04:31:24 AM
Old 03-15-2013
RudiC,

thank you - now it works perfect.

what newline does in awk is new for me...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help-matrix inverse (awk)

I have few days to complete my awk homework. But I'm stucked. i hope some1 will help me out. I have to inverse n x n matrix, but I have problems with finding the determinant of the matrix. I found the algoritm, how to find a determinant of n x n matrix:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vesyyr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

matrix inverse (awk)

I need to inverse a matrix given in a file. The problem is I'm stuck with writing determinant finding algoritm into code. I found this algoritm about finding determinant of nxn matrix. This is what i need: Matrices and Determinants and here: a11 a12 a13 a21 a22 a23 a31 a32 a33... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vesyyr
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk matrix problem

hi there I'm very new in programing and i've started with awk. I'm processing 200 data files and I need to do some precessing on them. The files have 3 columns with N-lines for each line a have on the first and second value is the same for all the files and only the third is variable. like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: philstar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk? adjacency matrix to adjacency list / correlation matrix to list

Hi everyone I am very new at awk but think that that might be the best strategy for this. I have a matrix very similar to a correlation matrix and in practical terms I need to convert it into a list containing the values from the matrix (one value per line) with the first field of the line (row... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonkey
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab-separated file to matrix conversion

hello all, i have an input file like that A A X0 A B X1 A C X2 ... A Z Xx B A X1 B B X3 .... Z A Xx Z B X4 and i want to have an output like that A B C D A X0 X1 X2 Xy B X1 X3 X4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing up a matrix using awk

Hi there, If anyone can help me sorting out this small task would be great. Given a matrix like the following: 100 3 3 3 3 3 ... 200 5 5 5 5 5 ... 400 1 1 1 1 1 ... 500 8 8 8 8 8 ... 900 0 0 0 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JRodrigoF
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion: 3 columns into matrix

Hi guys, here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/193043-3-column-csv-correlation-matrix-awk-perl.html I found awk script converting awk '{ OFS = ";" if (t) { if (l != $1) t = t OFS $1 } else t = OFS $1 x = x ? x OFS $NF : $NF l = $1 }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grincz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rearrange a matrix with awk

Hi, every one. I have two files ,one is in matrix like this, one is a list with the same data as the matrix. AB AE AC AD AA AF SA 3 4 5 6 4 6 SC 5 7 2 8 4 3 SD 4 6 5 3 8 3 SE 45 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to parse a file with mixed formats in columns

Greetings I have a file formatted like this: rhino grey weight=1003;height=231;class=heaviest;histology=9,0,0,8 bird white weight=23;height=88;class=light;histology=7,5,1,0,0 turtle green weight=40;height=9;class=light;histology=6,0,2,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sum the matrix using awk?

input A1 B1 A2 B2 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 Output label A1 B1 A2 B2 A1 2 1 1 2 B1 1 2 2 1 A2 1 2 3 2 B2 2 1 2 3 Ex: The number of times that A1 and B1 row values are both 1 should be printed as output. The last row of A1 and B1 in the input match by having 1 in both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)