Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed Post 302780649 by lehaste on Thursday 14th of March 2013 10:40:09 PM
Old 03-14-2013
I'm using Red Hat, 2.16.0. Here is the line of perl code I'm using to write the sed command to the shell script:
Code:
print {$sh} "set expr=`echo $temp | sed 's/[][]/\\&\g'`\n";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test command - Two square brackets

Hello, Can someone please explain to me the following line, ] && break I do not understand why two test square brackets are used. Thanks, Shantanu ---------- Post updated at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:35 PM ---------- And, also why there's a $ before (echo $c |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two square brackets

hi guys, i'm writing a script that looks for a unquie id in a file and replaces a string between two square brackets on the same line as the unquie id: ....... ....... 0001 zz 43242 replace this text] name 0002 sd 65466 UK] country ....... ....... how can i find line with id 0001... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip the square brackets from a word using sed or var expansion

Hi, I am trying to strip out leading and trailing brackets from a word. for example, I have a value, in a file. I want to strip out the leading and trailing brackets it and should get the value Running. I am using the following statement but in vain. grep "Workflow run status:" <... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the value in between square brackets in file

I wanted to compare the value inside the Squre bracket after Colon ( : ) based on any value(seperated by or operator | ) inside the variable Thread and if match found then wnated to store in output file Input file : 20140320 00:08:43.918 INO 35] - Corporate hub is 20140320 00:08:43.918... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep number between Square [] brackets

I wanted to store the number inside the square bracket between colon( : ) and closing suqre bracket(]) in some variable. Suppose I have lines like : Input file : 20140320 00:08:23.846 INFO 84] - anything in line 20140320 00:08:23.846 Test 589] - Virtual and lab lab anything... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with occurence of square brackets

Hello all, I have the following problem: $ cat infile this is spam and i need this too this is spam and i need this too $ perl -nwe '$_ =~ /]+ \]+)\]\]*\]? (\+)$/; print "$1 - $2\n";' infile i need this - too i need this - and i need this too I am not sure how many occurences of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)