Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID 0 for SSD
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory RAID 0 for SSD Post 302780601 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of March 2013 06:29:23 PM
Old 03-14-2013
I don't really see the point of doing so. Performance would be lower and inconsistent. Something smarter than simple mirroring or striping would be needed to get the advantages of both.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Using SSD in FreeBSD

Now that SSD drives are becoming mainstream, I had a few questions on installing a SSD drive in a FreeBSD environment. Can FreeBSD be made SSD aware, that is, somehow let FreeBSD know that reads and writes should be limited or deferred to extend the disk's life? Is there a setting for wear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

3. AIX

SSD with GPFS ?

Hi, does anyone here happen to know if I could run GLVM or GPFS on Solid State Disks? I have a high volume / high transaction Sybase HACMP cluster currently setup with SRDF to the DR datacentre. My business now considers to move everything to SSD storage but we still need to get the data to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
0 Replies

4. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should I format my SSD with?

Hello All, I recently received a new SSD that I am going to use for the purpose of Booting Virtual Machines. I use VMWare Player to boot Windows Guest Operating Systems onto my Linux Laptop. I currently have a SSD drive that I use for this exact same purpose that is formatted as ext3 and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

8. Linux

CentOS 6.6 SSD trim on HP DL380 G2 RAID 0

I'm running glusterfs on CentOS 6.6 two nodes, (the SSD (samsung 840 1TB x2) is RAID 0 on the HP DL380 G6) x2, and trimming is not enable on it by checking /dev/sdb1/xxxxx/discard_max_bytes=0. Do I still need trimming? Somehow my filesystem is fine with 35-30% free space and running very fast. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies
raidutil(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       raidutil(8)

NAME
raidutil -- Manage, manipulate, and view RAID objects. SYNOPSIS
raidutil [global options] verb direct-object arguments ... DESCRIPTION
raidutil utilizes the CoreRAID framework to manipulate RAID devices. GLOBAL OPTIONS
There are several global options that may be used with raidutil. These options are not specific to any particular verb. Instead they have a global effect upon the way that raidutil performs. These global options are: -c <ControllerType> | --controller <ControllerType> This option (controller) allows the user to specify a controller type. -h | --help This option (help) will print the standard "usage" text. -t | --terse This option (terse) will minimize superfluous text. -v | --verbose This option (verbose) will maximize the amount of detailed infomation the program will provide. -V | --version This option (Version) will print out version information about this program. VERBS, DIRECT OBJECTS, AND SPECIFIC ARGUMENTS acknowledge event -n <EventNumber> Marks an event as acknowledged by specifiying an identifying event number. The -n may also be expressed as --number. create raidset -n <NewRAIDSet> -d <ListOfDriveBays> -r <RaidLevel> Create a RAIDSet specifiying: a RAIDSet name; a list of drive bays; the RAID level. The -n, -d, and -r flags may also be expressed as --name, --drives, and --raidlevel, respectively. Valid raidlevel's are J+, 0, 1, 5, 0+1. create volume -n <NewVolumeName> -r <NameOfRAIDSet> -s <SizeOfVolume> Create a volume specifiying: a volume name; a RAIDSet to build the volume on; the size of the volume. The -n, -d, and -s flags may also be expressed as --name, --raidset, and --size, respectively. delete raidset -n <NameOfRAIDSet> [-f] [-u] Remove a RAIDSet. The name of the RAIDSet is specified using the -n argument. The -n flag may also be expressed as --name. The optional -f flag may also be expressed as --force. The optional -u flag may also be expressed as --unmount. delete volume -n <NameOfVolume> [-r <RAIDSet>] [-f] [-u] Remove a volume. The name of the volume is specified using the -n argument. The -n flag may also be expressed as --name. The optional -r flag may also be expressed as --raidset. The optional -f flag may also be expressed as --force. The optional -u flag may also be expressed as --unmount. list [devices] List all known RAID devices. This is the default behavior if no direct object is specified. list status Prints an overview of status information for the targeted RAID device. list driveinfo Lists relevant information about any disk drives associated with the targeted RAID device. list eventinfo [-c n] Lists the last 100 event messages. When provided, the optional 'count' argument, will limit the output to the last 'n' event mes- sages (a value of 0 will display all event messsages). list raidsetinfo Lists relevant information about any RAIDSet associated with the targeted RAID device. list taskinfo Lists relevant information about any tasks associated with the targeted RAID device. list volumeinfo Lists relevant information about any volumes associated with the targeted RAID device. list versioninfo List version information about the targeted RAID device. modify controller [arguments listed below] This will allow the user to modify specific attributes of the targeted controller. --writeCacheBattery --WriteCacheEnable modify drive [arguments listed below] This will allow the user to modify specific attributes of the targeted drive. --addglobalspare -d <DriveBayNumber> [-Y | -N] --removeglobalspare -d <DriveBayNumber> --addlocalspare -d <DriveBayNumber> -r <RAIDSet> [-Y | -N] --removelocalspare -d <DriveBayNumber> --adopt -d <DriveBayNumber> modify raidset [arguments listed below] This will allow the user to modify specific attributes of the targeted RAIDSet. --addcapacity -n <RAIDSet> -d <ListOfDrives> [-Y | -N] [-W] --addmirror -n <RAIDSet> -d <ListOfDrives> [-Y | -N] [-W] --migratetoraid5 -n <RAIDSet> -d <ListOfDrives> [-Y | -N] [-W] --verify -n <RAIDSet> -p <ServicePriority> [-W] modify volume [arguments listed below] This will allow the user to modify specific attributes of the targeted volume. --expand -n <VolumeName> [-r <RAIDSet>] -s <SizeToAdd> [-W] --move -n <ListOfVolumes> -r <SourceRAIDSet> -t <TargetRAIDSet> [-W] --rewrite -n <VolumeName> [-r <RAIDSet>] -p <ServicePriority> [-W] --verify -n <VolumeName> [-r <RAIDSet>] -p <ServicePriority> [-W] NOTE: Valid values for <ServicePriority> are: low, medium, high. EXAMPLES
raidutil create raidset -n set2 -d 1,2 -r J+ This creates a RAIDSet named "set2", using the drives in bays one and two, with a raid level of "Enhanced JBOD." raidutil create volume -n volume1 -r set1 -s 1.5T This creates a volume named "volume1", on the RAIDSet named "set1". The size of the volume will be 1.5 tebibytes. raidutil modify volume -n volume1 --move -r set1 -t set2 --waitfortask This moves the volume named "volume1", from the RAIDSet named "set1". to the RAIDSet named "set2". The program will wait for the verification task to complete before proceeding. raidutil delete raidset -n setX This deletes a RAIDSet named "setX." Any volumes associated with this RAIDSet will also be destroyed. raidutil delete raidset -n setX --force Regardless of whether there are any mounted file systems associated with this group, this command deletes a RAIDSet named "setX." Any volumes associated with this group will also be destroyed. raidutil delete volume -n myVolume This deletes a volume named "myVolume." raidutil delete volume -n myVolume -r BigRAIDSet This specifically deletes a volume named "myVolume," that exists on the RAIDSet named BigRAIDSet. raidutil delete volume -n myVolume:BigRAIDSet This specifically deletes a volume named "myVolume," that exists on the group named BigRAIDSet. Make note that this example uses a method of overloading the volume name with the group name in order to specify the group. raidutil list devices This will print out a list of all known RAID devices. raidutil list version This will print out version information for the RAID device. COMPATIBILITY
RAID Levels When creating a RAID set the user must specify the type of RAID set that they wish to create through the raidlevel argument. Valid RAID lev- els are as follows: J+ Enhanced JBOD 0 RAID 0 (striping) 1 RAID 1 (mirroring) 0+1 RAID 0+1 (mirroring a striped pair) 5 RAID 5 (striping with distributed parity) Using Enhanced JBOD, you can create a RAID set using a single drive. The resulting RAID set doesnOt gain the performance or data protection of the other RAID levels, but it does benefit from the data caching and battery backup provided by the RAID card. An enhanced JBOD set can also be migrated to other RAID sets or moved to another computer that has a Mac Pro or Xserve RAID Card installed. RAID 0 offers improved performance but no data protection. Blocks of data are spread across all of the drives in the RAID set in a process called striping. This allows better performance because file contents move in parallel to and from the individual drives in the set. RAID 0 also provides the most usable disk space; nearly all space on all drives is available for user data. You can create a RAID 0 set using two, three, or four disks. RAID 1 protects data against a drive failure and allows some increase in read performance. Data is protected by duplicating the contents of each drive on a second drive in the set, a process called mirroring. Because of the duplication, a volume based on a RAID 1 canOt be larger than half of the total space available on the drives in the set. You can create a RAID 1 set using either two or four disks. RAID 0+1 combines the performance of RAID 0 with the data protection of RAID 1 by mirroring a striped set on a second pair of drives. Because mirroring duplicates all data, this level offers less usable disk space than RAID 5. Usable space is half of the total space available on the drives in the set. You need four disks to create a RAID 0+1 set. RAID 5 is a compromise between the performance of RAID 0 and the data protection of RAID 1. Performance is improved by striping data across the drives in the set. Data protection is provided by parity information that is distributed across the drives. Data can be recovered if any single drive fails. RAID 5 leaves you with more usable space than RAID 1. RAID 5 needs only the equivalent of one driveOs worth of disk space to store the parity information. You can create a RAID 5 set using either three or four disks. Specifying volumes When performing certain actions, it may be desirable to explicitly specify the group that a volume is built upon. For example, when removing a volume, one might want to specify the associated group for clarity. In these cases, an optional argument is generally available for this purpose. An example of this is: # raidutil delete volume -n myVolume -r theBigRAIDSet A shortcut exists whereby the RAIDSet may be specified as a suffix to the volume name. For example, this is equivelent to the previous com- mand: # raidutil delete volume -n myVolume:theBigRAIDSet The RAIDSet name is simply added to the volume name using the colon character as a separator. This shortcut is supported by all of the "modify volume" actions. Specifying Sizes When specifying data that indicates a numeric size, the value will be assumed to be expressed in megabytes (MB) unless otherwise indicated. For our purposes, we will treat all size units as 1000 based numbers. Values may be expressed in bytes by ending the value with the letter "B". Other units for measure storage space follow suit, as shown by the following table: kilobyte (KB) 2^10 = 1000 bytes megabyte (MB) 2^20 = 1000 * 1000 bytes gigabyte (GB) 2^30 = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes terabyte (TB) 2^40 = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes petabyte (PB) 2^50 = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes For the purposes of entering size information to this program, the default units are mebibytes (MiB). This program will support values expressed in the following units. Acceptable abbreviations are listed after the name: one byte = 1B --- B kilobyte = 1000B --- K, KB megabyte = 1000K --- M, MB gigabyte = 1000M --- G, GB terabyte = 1000G --- T, TB petabyte = 1000T --- P, PB For example, each of the following commands will all create a volume named "theVolume" with a size of 600 megabytes, on the RAIDSet named "RAIDSet": # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 600000K -r RAIDSet-A # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 600 -r RAIDSet # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 600M -r RAIDSet # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 0.6GB -r RAIDSet # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 0.0006TB -r RAIDSet # raidutil create volume -n theVolume -s 0.0000006P -r RAIDSet Special Size Values For Creating Volumes In place of a numeric value, the user may provide the word all. When this is done the program will attempt to use the maximum valid value. For example, the following command would create a volume named "BigVolume", on the RAIDSet named "BigRAIDSet", using all available space on that RAIDSet: # raidutil create volume -n BigVolume -s all -r BigRAIDSet Similarly, the user may provide a value that indicates a percentage of available space. This is done by providing a numeric value between 1 and 100 that is followed by the '%' character. For example, the following command would create a volume named "BigVolume", on the RAIDSet named "BigRAIDSet", using all available space on that RAIDSet: # raidutil create volume -n BigVolume -s 100% -r BigRAIDSet The following command would create a volume named "MyVolume", on the RAIDSet named "MyRAIDSet", using one fifth of all available space on that RAIDSet: # raidutil create volume -n MyVolume -s 20% -r MyRAIDSet It should be noted that, all percentage values are rounded down to the nearest whole number. Thus, 33.333% becomes 33%, and 17.9321% becomes 17%. Computed values are based on the RAIDSet available capacity attribute. NOTE: The use of mebibyte and related units is strongly endorsed by IEC, IEEE and CIPM. The mebibyte and related units are defined in the IEC document IEC 60027-1. EXIT STATUS
The raidutil utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
diskutil(8), hdid(8), hdiutil(1), ufs.util(8), msdos.util(8), hfs.util(8), drutil(1), diskarbitrationd(8) Mac OS March 16, 2007 Mac OS