Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID 0 for SSD
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory RAID 0 for SSD Post 302779837 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 11:54:13 AM
Old 03-13-2013
Hardware RAID0 is always faster than a single disk because you can step the reads and writes across the two disks simultaneously. However, I have never come across a case where throughput was doubled. Typically you will get something like a 50% increase in throughput.

Software RAID0 can provide throughput improvement but typically less than hardware RAID0.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Using SSD in FreeBSD

Now that SSD drives are becoming mainstream, I had a few questions on installing a SSD drive in a FreeBSD environment. Can FreeBSD be made SSD aware, that is, somehow let FreeBSD know that reads and writes should be limited or deferred to extend the disk's life? Is there a setting for wear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

3. AIX

SSD with GPFS ?

Hi, does anyone here happen to know if I could run GLVM or GPFS on Solid State Disks? I have a high volume / high transaction Sybase HACMP cluster currently setup with SRDF to the DR datacentre. My business now considers to move everything to SSD storage but we still need to get the data to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
0 Replies

4. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should I format my SSD with?

Hello All, I recently received a new SSD that I am going to use for the purpose of Booting Virtual Machines. I use VMWare Player to boot Windows Guest Operating Systems onto my Linux Laptop. I currently have a SSD drive that I use for this exact same purpose that is formatted as ext3 and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

8. Linux

CentOS 6.6 SSD trim on HP DL380 G2 RAID 0

I'm running glusterfs on CentOS 6.6 two nodes, (the SSD (samsung 840 1TB x2) is RAID 0 on the HP DL380 G6) x2, and trimming is not enable on it by checking /dev/sdb1/xxxxx/discard_max_bytes=0. Do I still need trimming? Somehow my filesystem is fine with 35-30% free space and running very fast. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies
cpipe(1)							Programmer's Manual							  cpipe(1)

NAME
cpipe - copy stdin to stdout while counting bytes and reporting progress SYNOPSIS
cpipe [-b bsize] [-vt] [-vr] [-vw] [-ngr] [-s speed] OPTIONS
-b buffer size in kB, 1 Int value between 1 and oo. Default: `128' -vt show throughput. -vr show read-times. -vw show write-times. -ngr non-greedy read. Don't enforce a full buffer on read before starting to write. -s throughput speed limit in kB/s, 1 Double value between 1 and oo. DESCRIPTION
Cpipe copies its standard input to its standard output while measuring the time it takes to read an input buffer and write an output buf- fer. If one or more of the -vx options is given, statistics of average throughput and the total amount of bytes copied are printed to the standard error output. Non Greedy Read Normally, cpipe does its best to totally fill its buffer (option -b) before it starts writing. In some situations however, e.g. if you talk to an interactive program via cpipe, this deadlocks the communication: said program waits for input which it will never see, because the input is stuck in cpipe's buffer. But cpipe itself will not see more input before the program does not respond. To get around this, try using -ngr. When issuing a read call, cpipe is then satisfied as soon as it gets at least one byte. Instead of filling the buffer, it stops reading and writes whatever it got to the output. Note, however, that the throughput measurements will be less exact if the number of bytes transferred in one read/write pair becomes small, because cpipe will spent relatively more time working on every byte. Limiting Throughput If a throughput limit is specified with option -s, cpipe calls usleep(3) in between copying buffers, thereby artificially extending the duration of a read/write-cycle. Since on most systems there is a certain minimum time usleep() sleeps, e.g. 0.01s, it is impossible to reach high limits with a small buffer size. In this case increasing the buffer size (option -b) might help. However, keep in mind that this limits the throughput only on the average. Every single buffer is copied as fast as possible. EXAMPLE
The command tar cCf / - usr | cpipe -vr -vw -vt > /dev/null results in an output like ... in: 19.541ms at 6.4MB/s ( 4.7MB/s avg) 2.0MB out: 0.004ms at 30.5GB/s ( 27.1GB/s avg) 2.0MB thru: 19.865ms at 6.3MB/s ( 4.6MB/s avg) 2.0MB ... The first column shows the times it takes to handle one buffer of data (128kB by default). The read-call took 19.541ms, the write-call to /dev/null took just 0.004ms and from the start of the read to the end of write, it took 19.865ms. The second column shows the result of dividing the buffer size (128kB by default) by the times in the first column. The third column contains the average over all measured values from the start of the program. Finally, the last column shows the total number of bytes transferred, which is of course the same for reading and writing. BUGS
This program uses precious processor cycles. Consequently the measured times will be different from the transfer rates possible without it. Instead of just non-greedy reading, full non-blocking I/O and use of select(2) should be used to make sure that no deadlocks occur when communicating with interactive programs. CREDITS
Peter Astrand <astrand@lysator.liu.se> recommended the speed limit. Ivo De Decker <ivo@zeus.rug.ac.be> asked for deadlock prevention, which is (hopefully) sufficiently covered by the non-greedy read. AUTHOR
Bug reports, beer and postcards go to pifpafpuf@gmx.de. New versions will show up on http://cpipe.berlios.de/. Clig-manuals 3.0.0 cpipe(1)