Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Break out of tail -f
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Break out of tail -f Post 302779025 by Jotne on Tuesday 12th of March 2013 03:53:50 AM
Old 03-12-2013
Maybe some like this
Code:
tail -f nohup.out | awk '/Started/ {system(do something)}'

If your log does rotate, use:
Code:
tail --follow name nohup.out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Break mirror so that it can be used later

Hello again, We need to install patches to HP-UX B.11.11 but would like to break the mirror it has (with out damaging it) so that in case of failure we can use this a meassure procedure. Any ideas on how to do this Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

break out of 'if'

is it possible? because i still need to keep on reading even though i don't want to read that particular line (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on page break

Hi, i have a file say samp.s which has 123 a b c d 123 e f g h 123 i j k l 123 m n o p 234 a b c d 234 e f g h 234 i j k l the first 3 characters in each line are considered the key values i have one more file temp.txt which has 123 234 i want to have a page break in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

break: cannot break

hi guys I am working on a menu for linux... some basic stuff. but I have an issue. I got 1 server where something is working and the same thing does not work in the same way in another linux box Basically I am simulating a command line where user insert some commands and to end and go back... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)