Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Killing a program in shell script Post 302778939 by Chubler_XL on Monday 11th of March 2013 07:46:38 PM
Old 03-11-2013
If command finishes straight away you probably dont want to sit around for 15 seconds.
Try:

Code:
some_command some_arg1 some_arg2 &
TASK_PID=$!
LOOP=1
while [ $LOOP -le 15 -a -d /proc/$TASK_PID ]
do
   sleep 1
   let LOOP=LOOP+1
done
[ -d /proc/$TASK_PID ] && kill $TASK_PID

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shell script program

shell script for sorting,searchingand insertion/deletion of elements in a list (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaram_miryabb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on C-shell script program

#!/bin/csh # This program will add integers # # # add integer1 .. # # Check for argument if ($#argv == 0 ) then echo "usage: add integers" exit 1 else set input = $argv endif # set sum = 0 foreach var ( $input ) @sum = $sum + $input end # (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haze21
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leaving Program running but killing the script

Sorry for all the threads. I am almost done. I ahve a bash script that is launching a diags program then copying the .html over my client. then it does the following line /opt/firefox/firefox report.html it launches it fines but the program waits for me to close the window or kill the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call C Program From Shell Script

Hi, Could anybody please let me know how to call a C_Program from shell script. I know through command "system" we can call shell script from C program. Awaiting response. Thanks and regards, Chanakya M (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a shell script

Hi, If I have a large shell script running as root, say for example like one that copies a ton of files, how would I kill the shell script and any processes that it created? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to launch C program

Hi there, im new too shell scripting and was wondering if it is possible to create a shell script to take in a variable and load a c program. My C program is a file monitor, and is started by using the terminal and using to following code ./monitor FileToBeMonitored is it possible to have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazmcc182
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: Killing a process using a supplied name to a shell script

Hi, I am trying to automate the killing of named processes of which I found a good solution here on the forums but as I am pretty much a begginer to linux I am having an issue. The code I found is: kill $(ps -ef | nawk '/monitoreo start/ { print $2}'} but what I want to do is replace... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TylrRssl1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script program

shell script in Unix/Linux to find the lines numbers of a text file are having word which is 5 to 10 characters long and having first letter as a capital letter. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usersnehal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a shell script to program

Hi I am new in programming. I have written a shell code, but i want to secure my code. I have tried SHC. It is converting it to binary, but can be converted in plain text again by core dump. I have tried to convert it in rpm by "rpmbuild -bb my.spec" option but the result is same. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Controlling a program from shell script

Hi all, I am trying to write a shell script that starts a program, reads from its stdout and can write to its stdin. I'm having trouble to get it to work, I tried using named pipes, and using exec and file descriptors. Just couldn't get it to work, so I thought I'll post it here to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: test it
4 Replies
MYSQLD(8)						       MySQL Database System							 MYSQLD(8)

NAME
mysqld - the MySQL server SYNOPSIS
mysqld [options] DESCRIPTION
mysqld, also known as MySQL Server, is the main program that does most of the work in a MySQL installation. MySQL Server manages access to the MySQL data directory that contains databases and tables. The data directory is also the default location for other information such as log files and status files. When MySQL server starts, it listens for network connections from client programs and manages access to databases on behalf of those clients. The mysqld program has many options that can be specified at startup. For a complete list of options, run this command: shell> mysqld --verbose --help MySQL Server also has a set of system variables that affect its operation as it runs. System variables can be set at server startup, and many of them can be changed at runtime to effect dynamic server reconfiguration. MySQL Server also has a set of status variables that provide information about its operation. You can monitor these status variables to access runtime performance characteristics. For a full description of MySQL Server command options, system variables, and status variables, see Section 5.1, "The MySQL Server". For information about installing MySQL and setting up the initial configuration, see Chapter 2, Installing and Upgrading MySQL. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.5 01/30/2014 MYSQLD(8)