Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Break out of tail -f
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Break out of tail -f Post 302778857 by sai2013 on Monday 11th of March 2013 04:28:38 PM
Old 03-11-2013
Thanks Pickett. To add more clarity to my query, I only need to look for the word once.

The file 'nohup.out' starts of as an empty file everytime the startup script is executed. Once the word 'STARTUP' is found in the file, AFTER the FIRST OCCURENCE, I no longer need to monitor the file. I can STOP READING the file. --> essentially break out of tail -f , if there is such a thing.

Is there?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Break mirror so that it can be used later

Hello again, We need to install patches to HP-UX B.11.11 but would like to break the mirror it has (with out damaging it) so that in case of failure we can use this a meassure procedure. Any ideas on how to do this Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

break out of 'if'

is it possible? because i still need to keep on reading even though i don't want to read that particular line (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on page break

Hi, i have a file say samp.s which has 123 a b c d 123 e f g h 123 i j k l 123 m n o p 234 a b c d 234 e f g h 234 i j k l the first 3 characters in each line are considered the key values i have one more file temp.txt which has 123 234 i want to have a page break in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

break: cannot break

hi guys I am working on a menu for linux... some basic stuff. but I have an issue. I got 1 server where something is working and the same thing does not work in the same way in another linux box Basically I am simulating a command line where user insert some commands and to end and go back... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
PPI::Statement::Break(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  PPI::Statement::Break(3)

NAME
PPI::Statement::Break - Statements which break out of normal statement flow SYNOPSIS
last; goto FOO; next if condition(); return $foo; redo; INHERITANCE
PPI::Statement::Break isa PPI::Statement isa PPI::Node isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
"PPI::Statement::Break" is intended to represent statements that break out of the normal statement flow control. This covers the basic types 'redo', 'goto', 'next', 'last' and 'return'. METHODS
"PPI::Statement::Break" has no additional methods beyond the default ones provided by PPI::Statement, PPI::Node and PPI::Element. However, it is expected to gain methods for identifying the line to break to, or the structure to break out of. TO DO
- Add the methods to identify the break target - Add some proper unit testing SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Statement::Break(3)