Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Case loop condition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case loop condition Post 302778685 by Corona688 on Monday 11th of March 2013 11:34:28 AM
Old 03-11-2013
Well, since it's in a function, you have a few easy-outs for that. You could return early for good cases, and have bad cases return error outside:
Code:
g1 () {
        case "$1" in
        A)
                return 0 # No error
                ;;
       ... # Many error checks which don't return
       esac

echo "Some sort of error happened"
       return 1
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing For Loop condition

How do I test the return condition in the script if no files are found: for file in `Find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN}` do ... .. done I want to capture the return code so I can echo the error or condition. Using if ] always returns zero no matter where it's placed. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

condition inside a for loop

I have a for loop in my script as shown below. for file_path in $file_list ; do ........my code .......... ...... done Can i restrict the number of files parsing to the variable file_path as 50? That is, even if I have some 100 files in file_list, I need to take only 50 files for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in a while loop

Gurus, I need to read a line from a file and strip the characters from it and compare the stripped value with the value I pass to the script while executing it. Below is the code for the same. But when i execute the code, it is throwing an error. #!/bin/ksh . /home/.i_env ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of -z in while loop condition

Hi, Could you please tell what is the meaning of -z in while loop condition. For example, while ; do echo "*** Enter the age " readage (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Loop in Case Statement script

I am writing a bash script that asks the user for input and I need it to repeat until the user selects quit.. I dont know how to write the loop for it I searched all over but i still do not get it.. if anyone could help with this it would be greatly apprciated here is my script so far: #!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lower case test condition

I want to locate directories that are upper, lower or have both upper and lower cases. What I have is: find /tmp/$var2 -type d' " ); && echo "host case is incorrect" || echo "host case is correct" This actually is part of a larger script and it does work but the problem is that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop with if else condition

Hi, I was trying to write a shell script which reads csv file and sends mail in html format along with tables. Hope i have completed 1st part , but while sending mail i was trying to highlight some rows in the table based on the egrep outcome. If the string exists in line/INPUT, i am trying to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varmas424
4 Replies

9. Linux

How to use a case stmt in a for loop?

How can I merge the move statements with the "FOR" loop to do a move of a file right after it zips it and not wait until all of the files are zipped to move all outisde the for loop. Here is my current code: for file in `ls -rt $svdumpdir/* | grep -v '.gz$' | grep '.gtt$' ` do echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case sensitive in If loop .

Hi All, select app from the menu: ABC DEF GHI JKL ALL # ALL will select all the apps in the menu echo "Enter your option" read option; if then <execute the below command> elif # option is the 1 selection from menu...not ALL <execute the below command> else (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devaraj A
14 Replies
error(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  error(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
error - Generate an error SYNOPSIS
error message ?info? ?code? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a TCL_ERROR code, which causes command interpretation to be unwound. Message is a string that is returned to the application to indicate what went wrong. The -errorinfo return option of an interpreter is used to accumulate a stack trace of what was in progress when an error occurred; as nested commands unwind, the Tcl interpreter adds information to the -errorinfo return option. If the info argument is present, it is used to initialize the -errorinfo return options and the first increment of unwind information will not be added by the Tcl interpreter. In other words, the command containing the error command will not appear in the stack trace; in its place will be info. Historically, this feature had been most useful in conjunction with the catch command: if a caught error cannot be handled successfully, info can be used to return a stack trace reflecting the original point of occurrence of the error: catch {...} errMsg set savedInfo $::errorInfo ... error $errMsg $savedInfo When working with Tcl 8.5 or later, the following code should be used instead: catch {...} errMsg options ... return -options $options $errMsg If the code argument is present, then its value is stored in the -errorcode return option. The -errorcode return option is intended to hold a machine-readable description of the error in cases where such information is available; see the return manual page for information on the proper format for this option's value. EXAMPLE
Generate an error if a basic mathematical operation fails: if {1+2 != 3} { error "something is very wrong with addition" } SEE ALSO
catch(n), return(n) KEYWORDS
error Tcl error(n)